Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Simon

Originally posted by Law@Dec 4 2002, 12:29 PM
    I am completely and entirely computer illiterate....um...what's a firewall?! and how do i know if i have one or not?!
    A (personal) firewall is a program that can filter the data coming into and going out of your computer, to prevent against trojans, spyware, portscans, etc. To tell if you have one, hover your mouse over each of the items in the sytem tray (or the notification area in XP - it's in the bottom right hand of the screen), until a tooltip comes up, and tell us if any of them have the word 'firewall' in them, and if so, what is it. E.g. if one of them says 'Norton personal firewall' then tell us that.
    N.B. Some will not actually say the word 'firewall' - the notable ones are Zonealarm and Mcaffe Guardian. Tell us if any of them say one of these as well.

-Simon

Beta

Jay, are you running two MSN Messengers? I can see 2 ads at the bottom of the image. Im not saying that this is the problem. Im just asking you if there are two MSN Messenger's open.

Dave Drake

If you go back to another version of messenger aren't you going to be bugged by the "new version is available" message that gets sent at least every day?

Beta

Yeah, but you can set it to not ask you again until 1 week. To do that, click the message (thats in the box at the lower right corner of the screen) and when the window asking you to upgrade, Click the No option. Now click the Don't ask me again until one week checkbox. Click OK. It won't ask you again until one week. (Repeat the steps every week the message comes up.)

Beta

Originally posted by SSS@Dec 29 2002, 11:08 PM
    Repeat the steps every week the message comes up.
    That's worse than Real Networks' RealPlayer which does that in 30 days if you don't want it to remind you about an update.

Either which way I think that if you don't want a program to remind you of a major update, it should never remind you at all until you disable that option. And when you upgrade, that setting should not get reset. Of course, no one cares what other people think Real Networks and MSN do whatever they feel like.

Beta

Yeah, it is worse than Real Networks RealPlayer. But you will not get a update message if you download MSN Messenger 4.6 from MSN Messenger's home page. I didn't get a update message when I installed it on my computer so, I don't know if you will get a update message or not. (I'm using Win95 which MSN Messenger 5.0 doesn't support.)

Originally posted by SSS@Dec 30 2002, 12:34 PM
    Yeah, it is worse than Real Networks RealPlayer. But you will not get a update message if you download MSN Messenger 4.6 from MSN Messenger's home page. I didn't get a update message when I installed it on my computer so, I don't know if you will get a update message or not.
    Close ... MSN will try to direct you to 5.0, but down in small print, they have this link to download 4.6 ... http://messenger.msn.com/install/dl.asp?ty...6&typlang=en-us

Yea but you will get the upgrade message.

T5

I would recommend dMSN, download from http://www.dmsn.nl/ It's a rather large 14mb download but the faciltiies are far superior and it has all the features you could only dream of!

Eanna

Hi all!
    Am on old computer running windows 95 and have msn mess. 4.6 but I do have the ads on mine anyway :angry: I was looking for a program to change the smilie faces as I dont like the new ones msn has. Yours here, for example, are quite cute! If I installed an older version of messenger, would I have to un-install what I have? The last time I did that with my internet explorer, it was a disaster :blink: While I am on the subject--can u install another internet browser as a back-up so you will always be able to get to the net? Thanks