Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Gris

I have a technical question which I would be grateul if you could help out. I installed an application on my desktop running Windows 95 OS. A message appeared saying that the application did not support Windows 95. In this situation, I wonder if I installed MDAC_TYP.exe on my computer, would it enable installation of the application on my Windows 95 computer? Thank you in advance.

Regards
    Gris

Super Moderator

What program is it?
    MDAC, is "Microsoft Data Access Components", this is used for databases. It has nothing to do with the base OS, in this case Windows 95. If your trying to install a database program, such as MSSQL Server, this component would be installed when you install the SQL Server. But if the program wont run on 95, i dont see how adding a database component will change that fact.
    If the error message said you needed the MDAC installed. then install it.

If you trying to set up an MSSQL server, did you look into MySQL, which works well on Windows, and is also FREE.

One of the easiest way for you to figure this out is to try it yourself. If it works, it works, if it does not then it doesn't.

guest_Gris

Thank you very much, locustfurnace.

I was trying to install a stock charting programme when I encountered the message that Windows 95 was not supported. Now, I understand from your answer that installation of an MDAC has nothing to do with the base OS. Thank you once again for your help.

Super Moderator

Had you tried any of the stock finance programs in this thread?
    http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...=1451&hl=stocks