Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Salatir

I don't really like instant messengers due to the spyware and nuisance factor, but too many people want me to get it. So, what version of AIM should I get that is spyware free and still functional and compatible with the most current AIM builds? Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator

try easy message, which you can find in the pinned topic of alternative chat clients, it has no ads, works with AOL, ICQ, MSN, and Yahoo. and is free

Salatir

In looking at the description of easy message, it seems like a nice tool. But I'm still concerned about the potential for spyware in it - can you (or anyone) offer any insight into whether it's a clean program?

Super Moderator

I do not personally run it. Though I have set many client up using it when they experienced problems with single apps or wanted to run multi chat clients as a unified program, to help cut down on clutter and resource wasting.
    If you run a firewall such as Armour2net, PcViper or any other potental apps, these can be made to serve as a application level proxy, which greatly reduces spyware from being run externally of a program you chose to run, So that only those apps you want to connect to the net are explicitly permitted.
    So if there is a third party spyware program running and trying to connect to the network, a flag will be raised on the firewall alerting you some apps is trying to phone home, then you can deny it access to the net.

If you can block spyware from connecting to the internet, then applications which use spyware can be just as safe as those without spyware.
    Any particular reason your overly concerned with spyware?
    Do you send emails encrypted? are your chats encrypted? if you say no, then what spyware does is collect info on you, but someone can easily read your email and chat communications if your not encrypting them.
    so trying to protect yourself from spyware is great, but if everything else you do is visible on the net. you might be worrying too much for nothing.

Release Candiate 1

Since when does AIM have spyware?

AIM is not and has never been bundled with spyware as far as I know.

Anthony

So youre saying that youve never heard aim just start spouting out crap, like advertisements for jeopardy for PS2 and movie previews? Happens all the time, i use the most recent 5.1 version, no advertising at all.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Anthony@Feb 5 2004, 07:42 PM
    So youre saying that youve never heard aim just start spouting out crap, like advertisements for jeopardy for PS2 and movie previews? Happens all the time, i use the most recent 5.1 version, no advertising at all.
    I believe Igor is stating AIM only uses Adware, and does not bundle their program with spyware. Not all adware is spyware. Although the difference between the two is slowly fading as spyware is the preferred delivery mechanism.