Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

If you want to use AOL, find middleman and delete the ads at leasty.
    http://middleman.krunchsoftware.com/

aim 5.5 sucks, you cant change the away messages or profiles on linked screen names. THAT SUCKS. i use 5.2 still, being able to use my cams not worth it.

Elisabeth

[FONT=Geneva][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]

Yeah go to manage link sns then u should be able to change them

Help Please want to get back to

Please help. If anyone has figured out how to go back from AIM 5.5 to 5.2. I want to go back to using the old version of Dead AIM with out losing my logs. Basically the story is that I had the free version of Dead AIM installed with AIM 5.2 non beta. then I tried asking a person who upgraded and I got the wrong impression that old Dead AIM worked with AIM 5.5. so I upgraded. well after the upgrade Dead AIM no longer worked, I thought I had a back up of the old way but it turns out that the program containing that backup expired ( how nice!!&#33 well I really would like to know if anyone has figured out how to get it back to using both old versions so that I can go back to using a log. Thanks for any advice given.
    I agree AIM 5.5 messed everything up

Super Moderator

Most Windows apps now write info into the registry, which makes it difficult to downgrade apps these days. You can uninstall the program, but the versions info is left in the registry, If you have a backup of your registry, just replace it.
    But I know 90% of most computer users never think making backups is important til after they need it.
    It is possible to edit the registry an remove all reg keys; which allow you to use any version you want, but if you have never done this, its not something someone should attempt without having a backup of the registry; or the understanding of the registry. Make a backup of your registry if you plan to edit it.

curtthematian

so how does that help me. that was just a comment about being too late to do anything about it. so what should I do.
    ps I am the one who posted march 1 at 10:53

Super Moderator

Take the advice given and learn from it, go and seeek out registry editing apps; try them, see if that solves the problem.
    Or, backup your registry and edit the registry by hand, and see if you can find all the keys and values and remove them.
    No one has made an app to do this for you (downgrade AIM), this requires you to learn alittle about the registry and how to edit it.
    Your not totally alone in this, alot of people either have to just deal with the current situation, or they decide to get their own hands into the process.
    You want a simple solution, and there is one simple solution to this problem, reinstall your whole operating system, then backup the registry and keep it safe, then install whatever apps you want to run. Do not install them before you backup your registry.
    This solution is not the ideal one for most either, but if you do not have a backup, there is not a whole lot you can do without attempting to edit the reg.
    But try a registry cleaner first, you might be successful.

I would stay away from AIM 5.5!!!!!!!! (Unless you know what your doing!&#33

It installs spyware!!!!!!!!&#3 3;! (Wildtangent,etc..........)

Read all about it HERE..

Im Quite happy with 5.2.3277 (With "127.0.0.1 ar.atwola.com" in my hosts file to block all the stupid ads and stuff

The Dude