Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 403 Error

firelady

i'm receiving a 403 explorer-forbidden error whenver i try to download from you guys. I've checked browser settings, ZAPro settings, Norton settings, etc. and still can't figure it out. I just got an IE6 upgrade, but am feeling rather dumb at this point. Any advice por favor? :blink:

Release Candiate 1

Is anyone else is having the same problem?

Everything is working fine for me.

-igor

Super Moderator

Are you saying the 403? error is when you download from the main site? or from a link within the forum? there is a difference; which should be clarified.
    Which file did you try to download?
    I have no problems at all. Which makes me wonder exactly where your downloadin' from.

firelady

yes, the error comes from directly downloading from this site. i've downloaded before with no problems at all, but this began about a week ago. i'm not saying it's necessarily on your end exclusively, i was just wondering if someone with more expertise/experience had heard of this problem happening before. it happens with everything i've tried to download (kazaalite,AIM,etal.)

Super Moderator

Are you running Windows XP? Have you by any chance disabled JavaScripting?
    Do you have the Xp Firewall enabled; if running XP, Any chance you have Zonealarm installed?

firelady

yes, I'm running Xp. I haven't disabled javascripting, and yes, I'm running ZoneAlarmPro. The XP firewall is not enabled. I've been at this on and off for about two days. h34r:

Super Moderator

Try disabling the Zonealarm, then see if you can download, I have heard of many people experiencing similar 403 errors while running Zonealarm.

If disabling the Zonealarm does solve the problem, then you will need to head over to their web site and see if they have posted a work around.

the following link might help you out some, it's a forum on Zonealarm, of a user experiencing the same problems you are. With a possible fix for the situaiton.
    http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board/...message.id=6793

firelady

Have you heard of Norton Antivirus (or any other Norton programs) have a similar affect? Also, isn't it risky to disable my firewall and then download something?

Super Moderator

You won't be disabling it for long, just to see if you are able to download or not. this way you can rule it out, or it can be pointed to be the culpruit.

Many people run systems without firewalls for a long time, its not that if you lower the shield, you will be attacked instantly. Also, if someone would be determined enough to get into your system, they would. Firewalls won't keep a determined person out. Just as locks on your car/house wont keep a determined thief from stealing the car. Firewalls & locks basically just are used to keep honest people honest.
    Firewalls are deterants, and help alert you when someone is jiggling the doorknob, but dont think they will stop the most determined.
    But they basically provide a security on the level as door locks do.

Just turn it off, try to download the file you want, if the file is downloaded sucessfully, you then know the cause of the problem. Then stick your firewall back into place. Should take mere seconds.

if the file does still not download, then you can turn off the Anti-virus app, and attempt to download as well. Is the Nortons just a virus scanner or a security suite of applications? Such as also being a firewall?

firelady

you are my new favorite person. i've been fighting this for over two days, and never thought about ZoneZlarm being the culprit because the same version had no such affect on my friends system. thank you so much.