Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: About Donations

ETL

At your page http://www.oldversion.com/donate.php you say that you want donations, even small ones. I understand that it is expensive to keep a site like this running and I do appreciate your ideas and intentions.

I made a small donation (my wallet is very thin) some time ago through PayPal. I immediately got a message from PayPal that the money was drawn from my account. My intention was (at that time) to repeat this donation now and then. I expected a short standard note from you that you had received the money, but nothing has so far happened.

Questions: 1. Is your policy not to send a note to the donator to confirm that you have got the money? 2. Was the sum I donated too small, $10? 3. Do you get so many donations that you have no time to send a short message to the donator?

If you answer "yes" to any of these questions I believe that there are many like myself who hesitate to make another donation.

ETL

We are sorry that you did not receive a letter of thanks for your donation. We try to send out letters as a thank you as much as we can, but you might have made the donation at an awkward time (close to the end of the month where we do the fianaces or when we are working on another project). Believe me, we appreciate every single donation we get from our visitors and we are forever grateful for it. We will try harder to send a thank you letter for every donation that we receive, and no we do not receive one often(1 or 2 a month).

Thank you for your donation. We do appreciate it.
    Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper

ETL

To ABlix.

Oh, it's OK. I didn't expect great "thanks, thanks", just a little note by e-mail that you had got the money. I'm used with wireless transfers of money in my own country (in Europe) but not over half of the world. I just didn't know if you got the money or not.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can see, you have no other legal rights to get any money for all your work (and I believe it's a lot of work) than through donations since you only deliver freeware and shareware (and answers to a lot of questions).

It is sad that you only get 1-2 donations per month. In this case I will recommend every visitor to make a donation and repeat it.

I will soon send you another small donation (and repeat it). Don't waste a lot of time and money on great "thank you letters", just a short e-mail to confirm that you have received the money.

I really appreciate your site and wish you luck.

ETL

Edit://fixed the ivb tags for you.

Last edited by ABlix at Nov 30 2002, 03:52 PM

You are correct to the extent that it is a lot of work. Me and my partner spend nights and many hours thinking of ways to expand. I currently have an undergoing project so the updating of the programs will have to wait. I appreciate your gratitude, and no we do not make money from the site. I would so we make just enough to pay back for hosting.

Last edited by ABlix at Nov 30 2002, 03:49 PM
    Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper