Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    me

ive just rebuilt an old computer and dropped windows 95 on it so its original, do the older versions of internet explorer work fine on 95 or would i be better with the newest version ?

Beta

I would have thought that with Win 95 and an old spec computer, you would not be doing much internet surfing. Maybe keep everything original :unsure:

me

that didnt really help much, i think it was a little sarcastic, not all of us need to race around the internet you will realise this as you get older, we only use it occasionally as my partner has trouble working the keyboard, im sorry if its too much trouble to you fast young people

Beta

I apologise if my reply was misinterpreted, I recently restored an old pc (286) which runs Win 3 and is just about impossible to do anything on the internet, I just assumed you had another faster PC for everyday use.
    A version such as ver. 4.0 IE should work just fine with Win 95.

Super Moderator

Not much wrong at all with Windows 95. I also have a system running WFW3.11, and its connected to the internet, does emailing and ICQ.

I would recommend using IE4.5 or IE5. But you should be able to use IE4 without too much trouble. It all depends on how much RAM the box has, and what CPU you have if you want to go higher. I dont think you should jump right on updating IE. Try the stock browser for a few days, see how everything goes. You might want to also consider an alternative browser to IE, which should lower the RAM consumption. You can find many older versions of just about any web browser at http://browsers.evolt.org/

Windows 95 will work with IE version 5.5 or older.
    Version 6 requires (at least) Windows 98.
    Depending on your computer, an older IE version may be less taxing of your resources.

BTW: Re. Win 3.1,
    I had a 486 running Win 3.1 with a 16 bit version of IE 5 that I found on Tucows. It was a little slow and the graphics were less than ideal, but surfing was far from impossible...... My brother surfed with a 386 for years.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Pete@Feb 21 2004, 06:45 PM
    My brother surfed with a 386 for years.
    I built a 286 laptop, and it had 20 meg harddrive, less than 1 meg RAM, and I put a copy of NEWDEAL OS on it, which consisted of an email client, web browser. It worked. But ended up becoming a terminal station.

me

thank you very much for your help, i found a cd with IE 5 on it and it is working ok, perhaps you did not realise some of your visitors were old versions as well. not as fast as you young ones but still going strong.

i'm pretty sure mozilla firefox works with 95 - maybe that might be worth looking into... it certianly is a better browser :P

Release Candiate 2

I run win 95 on an old 33mhz laptop and IE is slow as is Opera 3.62. I now use Lynx if I want to surf using this browser.

What is Newdeal?