Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ie

Dale

Does anyone know which version of Internet Explorer is the most reliable to work under win98
    I reinstall entired computer and cant get 4. 5.5 or 6 to work right. I crash, freeze, fatal exception etc.

epp_b

Ha ha ha ha! You make me laugh! Since when have "Microsoft" and "reliable" ever been together in the same sentence, let alone the same website! But, all joking aside...

I use IE 5.5 and rarely experience problems (which, ironically, contradicts my first sentence in this reply...)

When downloading IE, did you make sure that you selected the option to "Download and Install later"? This way, it doesn't install IE as it's downloading the files, making it a more quick, stable installation.

Quick fix: Get Windows 2000 Comes with IE 5.5, Microsoft's best browser.

Originally posted by epp_b@Nov 30 2002, 10:50 PM
    Ha ha ha ha! You make me laugh! Since when have "Microsoft" and "Rock-Solid" ever been together in the same sentence, let alone the same website! But, all joking aside...

I use IE 5.5 and rarely experience problems (which, ironically, contradicts my first sentence in this reply...)

When downloading IE, did you make sure that you selected the option to "Download and Install later"? This way, it doesn't install IE as it's downloading the files, making it a more quick, stable installation.

Quick fix: Get Windows 2000 Comes with IE 5.5, Microsoft's best browser.
    2000 comes with 5.0

Dale

Thanks Gold.

Yes "rock solid" was a bit of a stretch. Using win98se and ie6. go to back off to 5.5 until I move up to winXP. Oh how I wish they could come up with an operating system burned into a prom and impossible to crash except with a hammer...sight...

epp_b

Are you sure that Win2000 comes with 5.0? I'm fairly sure that it's 5.5. Or does it come with one of the Service Packs? Please, prove me wrong.

collie

win2k - no service packs - comes with ie5

both of which i find fairly stable

i don't think a service pack will upgrade IE. although i'll try sp2 soon

should i use sp2 or 3? anyone?

ati allinwonder 128 pro, latest drivers, mmc7.1 - trying to use digital vcr actually freezes win2k - mouse & all - ctrlaltdel does nothing.

now 98se never did that.
    it just crashed the app which could normally be restarted.

win2k had 28,000 bugs.
    those were the ones which ms admitted to anyway.
    reports of 63,000 are around.

i dont think a prom chip would stop bugs only file corruption.
    you can run win9x from cd.

Steve

Win2000 actually comes with IE 5.01 although the build number on the About screen does not show this. Windows 98SE comes with IE5.0, Windows ME comes with IE5.5 and Windows XP comes with IE6.

With regard to stability we build machines all the time for our test lab and don't get any problems. These use every OS from Win95 to XP and every browser from IE4 onwards. The problems do start when we install other programs especially those that interact with IE such as Real Player. We also get problems with the drivers supplied with audio and video cards, especially the more expensive ones which have more 'advanced' features.

I am no fan of Microsoft but a lot of the stability problems are not their fault.

Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper

IE5.0x is a horrible browser, it isn't any better than 4.0
    IE is as dead as Communicator. It will never work correctly.

maxpower

sigh...

the post above is totally inaccurate. Infact it should be tagged is flamebait and sent to KC :0

For windows98, Internet Explorer 5.02 (sp2, 128bit) is recognized as thee most stable release next to ie6 and all of its updates. 5.5 is known for its evil quickrs here and there. So....i would stick with 5.02