Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ie

laffingravy

I'm using Windows 98 with IE5.5 and recommend that you do what worked for me. For convenience's sake, I ordered the cd from Windows Update for about five bucks. Seems most of my problems with IE resulted from being downloaded from the internet, and installing from the cd has given me the most stable IE I have ever used. Good to have a copy on cd.......real timesaver. PS, I'm using AOL 3.0 from this site on an older model 386 with Windows 3.1 , both work great! Thanks to Oldversion.com.

DJGM

The stability of any version of IE remains to be a cause for concern for me. Mind you, it's rendering
    engine is still that of IE4, and is as old as the rendering engine built into Communicator. The one
    thing that has convinced me to steer clear of IE on Windows, is it's very poor security record.
    In November, IE had 32 open security vulnerabilities. Since then, there have been two
    cumulative roll up patches to fix numerous bugs and security holes in one go, but
    as of 31st December 2002, there are still 19 unpatched security holes in IE!

My advice . . . dump IE. There are some far superior, (and far more secure) web browsers out there.

Mozilla . . . (best of the bunch)
    http://mozilla.org/releases/

Netscape 7.01 . . . (based and built on Mozilla)
    Official release: http://browsers.netscape.com/
    DJGM-i Distros: http://djgm-i.net/clubnetscape/

Opera . . . (v7 currently in beta)
    http://www.operasoftware.com/

Phoenix . . . (soon to be renamed)
    http://mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/

Adam

Originally posted by Guest@Dec 16 2002, 11:29 AM
    IE5.0x is a horrible browser, it isn't any better than 4.0
    IE is as dead as Communicator. It will never work correctly.
    No, absolutely wrong. IE 5 and any later version is a vast improvement over 4. IE 4 had some extremely horrible javascript handling bugs that were corrected in 5. When I have to use IE, I use IE 6 without any technical glitches.

And I'll agree with another poster that for most of your web-browsing needs, Mozilla is the best of the bunch.

I've found IE5 to be a bit more stable than any of the 4.x browsers, while still not having all of the bugs resulting from the new features in 5.5 and 6.0.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what the last released/most-updated version/build of 5.x (5.0x, not 5.5x) was? And where I could get both the Win95, Win98 (and up), WinNT, and Win2K versions?

(Well, maybe W2K isn't needed, it comes with 5.01 or 5.02 already, with SP2 installed.)

I think some of the older MSN signup CDs have the right version of IE 5.0x on them too, but I'm not sure if that is the most-updated one or not.

PS. Interesting site, I'm bookmarking it for later. I have a pile of old archived versions of stuff that you guys don't have.

Beta

Originally posted by epp_b@Nov 30 2002, 09:50 PM
    Quick fix: Get Windows 2000 Comes with IE 5.5, Microsoft's best browser.
    Windows Millenium is the one the comes with 5.5.

lifeover.com

i use IE 5.5 flawlessly on my WIN98 Machine, and IE6 on my windows 2000 server, and have yet to have a single crash or major problem in months and months of operation

yeti

WOW, you all are nuts. All IE's have bugs, most of them crash, but it also relates to your OS, processor, memory, etc....

Get Opera, It's never crashed on me ever and is so fast compared to Mozillia.

Now someone mentioned above about running 98 from a cd. Did that person mean like running the whole OS from the CD, like Knoppix? If such an animal exist, where can I get a copy?

Thanx.

Jeremy
    returnoftheyeti@msn.com

PS. I have Win2k w/ SP 3 slipstreamed into it and it has IE 5.5. I know this because the only browser I use is Opera, except for a web page that I have to use because of school and it only renders properly in IE.

And if you look on a lot of the old AOL and MSN CD's that are out there and you look in the hidden files, there are full and complete versions of IE. Espically in AOL 6.0

Super Moderator

Originally posted by yeti@May 8 2003, 08:09 AM
    Now someone mentioned above about running 98 from a cd. Did that person mean like running the whole OS from the CD, like Knoppix? If such an animal exist, where can I get a copy?
    Yes it can be done. i have not tried it as of yet.
    but it has been done by others. the only problem with getting windows to run on a CD is that it likes to write things out when loading. i have a link on how to do it.
    I dont have the link, but I did save the page.
    which ofcourse Windows stripped the URL, so i cant tell where it came from and running a partial body into google doesnt turn anything up.
    but part of it goes as such

"Regular backups often only offer a false feeling of security: After a system crash Windows frequently doesn't even start up anymore, and this puts the restore program out of reach, too. Therefore, a bootable and virus-proof Windows installation on CD ROM should really be found in every well-stocked emergency kit.

'To start Windows 95 or 98 in GUI mode, it must be installed on a writeable medium. You cannot start Windows from CD.' Similar statements have been published in various PC magazines, and c't has said it, too. The time has come to revise this statement.

The reason for this assumption lies in the fact that Windows spits out masses of error messages when unable to access the registry during startup. However, this is essentially only cosmetic: If you can live with it, Windows 9x can indeed be started from a CD ROM. This article will deal with how to eliminate the error messages and optimize CD ROM booting.

The advantages of starting Windows from CD sound like a list of things administrators and teachers, power users and normal users have always wanted. For one thing would there are the long file names: When there is no Windows running - be it because of a system crash or because of user thoughtlessness (format c - it is often very problematic to save long file names. Windows normally also needs to be up for extracting a file from a backup archive or an encoded file system. According to Murphy's Law, however, it is exactly after a system crash when there is no time for re-installing the system. In addition, a re-installation would possibly overwrite the very data you want to rescue. "

if there is any interest in this still, i can email the page.

- and running IE6 on win98se, not a problem. ran IE5.5, not a problem, but favorite browser is Galeon.

Grandma (moderator)

Originally posted by locustfurnace+Jun 2 2003, 08:58 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (locustfurnace @ Jun 2 2003, 08:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--yeti@May 8 2003, 08:09 AM
    Now someone* mentioned above about running 98 from a cd.* Did that person mean like running the whole OS from the CD, like Knoppix?* If such an animal exist, where can I get a copy?
    Yes it can be done. i have not tried it as of yet.
    but it has been done by others. the only problem with getting windows to run on a CD is that it likes to write things out when loading. i have a link on how to do it.
    I dont have the link, but I did save the page.
    which ofcourse Windows stripped the URL, so i cant tell where it came from and running a partial body into google doesnt turn anything up.
    but part of it goes as such

"Regular backups often only offer a false feeling of security: After a system crash Windows frequently doesn&#39;t even start up anymore, and this puts the restore program out of reach, too. Therefore, a bootable and virus-proof Windows installation on CD ROM should really be found in every well-stocked emergency kit.

&#39;To start Windows 95 or 98 in GUI mode, it must be installed on a writeable medium. You cannot start Windows from CD.&#39; Similar statements have been published in various PC magazines, and c&#39;t has said it, too. The time has come to revise this statement.

The reason for this assumption lies in the fact that Windows spits out masses of error messages when unable to access the registry during startup. However, this is essentially only cosmetic: If you can live with it, Windows 9x can indeed be started from a CD ROM. This article will deal with how to eliminate the error messages and optimize CD ROM booting.

The advantages of starting Windows from CD sound like a list of things administrators and teachers, power users and normal users have always wanted. For one thing would there are the long file names: When there is no Windows running - be it because of a system crash or because of user thoughtlessness (format c - it is often very problematic to save long file names. Windows normally also needs to be up for extracting a file from a backup archive or an encoded file system. According to Murphy&#39;s Law, however, it is exactly after a system crash when there is no time for re-installing the system. In addition, a re-installation would possibly overwrite the very data you want to rescue. "

if there is any interest in this still, i can email the page.

- and running IE6 on win98se, not a problem. ran IE5.5, not a problem, but favorite browser is Galeon.[/b][/quote]
    Interesting.

I believe I have found the article you are referring to.

http://www.heise.de/ct/english/99/11/206/