Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

View Poll Results: Whats the Best Spyware Remover Program?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spybot Search and Destroy

11 30.56%
  • Ad-aware

20 55.56%
  • Other

5 13.89%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    TheBulbasaurfreak

If you select Oher, please reply to the post suggesting the name of the program and why you like it. thanks. B)

Super Moderator

got to go with OTHER. THE USER

spyware is only effective if you dont pay attention to your system, while installing apps.
    first, make a backup of your registry files. keep em safe.
    run a firewall - blocks (some) spyware from connecting back to server.
    examine your ADD/REMOVE menu, look for something you didnt install. and remove it.
    do a ctrl|alt|del, do you know what programs are running and what they are for? learn what you install and make sure something is not running you didnt install.

remove apps from loading via the MSconfig utility.
    delete you cache daily, as well as cookies and the INDEX.dat file (only via DOS mode)
    get a file shredder and dont delete files, shred them (overwrites clusters XX amount of times with 1's and 0's)

if you install an app that has spyware. just reboot to DOS, and replace the reg file with the backup copy.
    backup your system before adding new apps. then if you get infected with spyware, restore to previous state.

if running a firewall. check the log, look for connections to services you arent running. if only running web browser. there should be no other ports being used, except for 53 -DNS, and your dhcp server.

look at spyware awareness sites, look at the listing of known offenders and dont download their apps.

you should not be solving the problem after the fact, you should prevent it beforehand. why install yet another app to fight another app. if ya didnt install the spyware app in the first place, you would have 2 less apps installed, running, eatting resources

TheBulbasaurfreak

Thanks locustfurnace for your tips on preventing Spyware without any Spyware remover programs. :lol:

Grandma (moderator)

This is a very good site about spyware, or parasites as they are called in the site.

They also give advices about how you can get rid of these programs.

CALM

I always see where it says to back up your registry files. I can do alot on the computer but I have NO IDEA HOW TO BACK UP REGISTRY FILES. I really would like to know how to do this.

I dont use anti-spyware programs. I used to use Zone Alarm on my old computer and really LOVED it! This new one is supposed to have some sort of built in firewall. When the warranty period is up I will probalby try ZA again but I dont really like the new version. It seems more difficult to use than the OLDVERSION!

Super Moderator

for win9x users, cant say for certain on the others just now
    to back up registry locate the 2 files in C:\windows
    user.dat and system.dat
    there is your registry, if anything happens to them, you can replace the corrupt versions with the ones you backup - copy to cd/floppy/zip.

there is also a command line utility for backing up called cfgback.exe on the CD.

if something goes wrong, you can boot to dos, delete the corrupt version, and restore with these versions.

also, another good thing you can do is compact the registry, i wont go into detail, since it can be complex, but it trims out unecessary reg entrys. and can make the registry smaller therfore faster to load, as well as backup.

if you use MSbackup, it also will backup the registry, and can be restored easily.
    you can also make a dos batch file backup your registry on a daily basis, or each time you reboot the system.

another good tool (for win9x) is the sfc.exe or System File Checker, included with windows, you can use it to restore corrupt files, go to the run command, type sfc. and run it, learn about it some, before deleting the files, since some will have been changed with updates. but it can be very useful when a system file gets corrupted.

CALM

Thanks. I can do this!

Davester

Can anyone direct me to a firewall program that provides information on anything new trying to enter the system in little bubbles by the taskbar? It would be very handy

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Davester@Jul 25 2003, 11:05 AM
    Can anyone direct me to a firewall program that provides information on anything new trying to enter the system in little bubbles by the taskbar? It would be very handy
    LOL this is funny, I was just demo-ing this program for an opinion, for someone. and it pretty much does - most likely, exactly what you are asking for.
    It combines spyware protection, URL filtering, firewalling, AND Pop-up Bubbles.

With this program and its spyware removal you can disable the spyware from working, BUT if a program needs the spyware to function, you can re enable it, use the program, then disable the spyware once again.

Give it a demo, see if you like it.
    It is called Armor2net personal firewall, get a trial here.
    http://www.armor2net.com/

TheBulbasaurfreak

Thanks for all the tips Plz add some more!