Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Avant Browser

djomega971

Program Name: Avant Browser
    Current version: 9.01 build 118
    Desired versions: Anything prior to this version/build
    Description: a tabbed browser with flash-filter and popup blocker

djomega971

Just to explain my above request...there seems to be some bug in the latest version of Avant that locks up my computer frequently when I try to run it. I have talked to others who use it here where I work and they are having the same problems. So, any version prior to the one that's currently offered would be preferred. Of course, the newer that version is, the better, since they are releasing new versions about every 1-2 months to fix bugs. Ideally, whatever version/build was available prior to the current one would be great. That one seemed to work fine before I upgraded, but I didn't have the installer saved for that particular version.

- Omega

Super Moderator

If your wanting the latest and not an old version. But just need a version prior to the current to solve an issue which most likely will be resolved in a matter of weeks with a new release. Why not try an almost identical browser? After looking at the screenshot on the homepage, I realized that the Avant browser, looks exactly like Slim browser. (screenshot to screenshot) http://flashpeak.com/sbrowser/ which I currently use, it too is freeware and offers the same features.
    The only difference might be filesize, Avant is currently 2.67megs and SlimBrowser is 1.19megs.
    I just installed Avant Browser, and Yes, they must be built from the same exact "blueprint" as both use the Roboform, ad-filtering, Groups, Language translators, the only differnce I see is the skins used.
    Maybe you should try the newest version of Slim Browser, it is smaller than Avant and might not have the current bug problem your experiencing with the Avant browser.
    Slim Browser does offer several additional plug-ins, such as a free ftp client.
    [list][*]Avant Browser v6.5.1.2 (981kbs)[*]Avant Browser v8.0 Final Release (900kbs)[*]Avant Browser v8.01 build 112 (957kbs)[*]Avant Browser v8.02 build 007 (959kbs)[*]Avant Browser v8.02 build 012 (961kbs)[*]Avant Browser v8.02 build 105 (1.03megs)[*]Avant Browser v8.02 build 106 (1.0megs)[*]Avant Browser v8.02 build 107 (2.72megs)[*]Avant Browser v8.02 build 212 (2.88megs)[*]Avant Browser v9.01 build 113 (2.7megs)

guest_Tom

Also MyIE and Crazy Browser.

http://www.myie2.com/html_en/home.htm

http://www.crazybrowser.com/

All these IE frontends seem the same! Are they all original or is there a "template somewhere" and all the developers used that in the first instance? Or is someone using someone elses work?

Super Moderator

Originally posted by guest_Tom@Mar 9 2004, 02:08 PM
    All these IE frontends seem the same! Are they all original or is there a "template somewhere" and all the developers used that in the first instance? Or is someone using someone elses work?
    I found an answer. on the SlimBrowser Forum
    We sold a product named Branded Browser SDK for about a month in Jan, 2004. This product has the power of building a branded browser with fully customized product name, homepage links and toolbar within a short time. We have discontinued this product because of potential negative effect to our own business.

To avoid potential confusion, the existing browsers built on the technology of Slim Browser are listed below,

1. MyWeb4Net Browser from mybrowser.web4net.net
    2. AvantPlus Browser from avantplus.com
    So the AvantPlus Browser looks the same because it basically is the same. The others also might have bought the SDK from Slimbrowser developers. Or have been rebranding the Slimbrowser as their own.

guest_Tom

Thanks for that - interesting! Avant has been out for a while. I remember it being called iE opera a couple of years back.

Here is a link to IE Opera from 2002

http://download.pods.lv/IEOpera/