Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Originally posted by rhondohslade+Jul 11 2004, 04:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rhondohslade @ Jul 11 2004, 04:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>This is MY understanding of the way that things work....

WiMP9 can indeed be used to compress files, however is is a LOSSLESS encoder --- that is, it squeezes out the silence in music tracks without losing any audio data, therefore it will enable one to then encode the "squeezed" file into the LOSSY MP3 format without incurring an unacceptable audio penalty.[/b]

WMP is both Lossy and lossless, depends on what settings one opts for.
    Lossless does not merely remove the silence, as if it did, then it would changing the length of the original piece, and each song would then be shorter than the original, which also would make the song appear to be playing faster then it should.
    Being "lossless" means that no data/quality is lost in the compression - when uncompressed, the data will be identical to the original. Lossy will remove redundant information and also frequencies that are imperceptible to the human ears based on psychoacoustic research.

<!--QuoteBegin--rhondohslade
    @Jul 11 2004, 04:04 PM
    That said...the best solution that I have found for MP3 encoding is to use Exact Audio Copy (EAC), .... along with the aforementioned LAME encoder....I have used this setup with a variable 192Kbps bitrate and have seen it encode as high as 360Kbps and as low as 92Kbps, depending upon the musical complexity of any given passage with a track.
    BTW....EAC is also "backwards compatible"; ie: it will take and MP3 files and DEcompress them into regular audio format for burning so that one could play a burned audio CD in a car player....WORKS WELL in this mode too&#33;
    [/quote]
    EAC is an excellent CDDA extractor, it removes the CDDA on the music CD and places in as a wav file on your hard drive. Under the hood of EAC is lame, you can download and use lame in many front ends, or simply from the commandline which gives great power to the user. Lame is also the power behind dBPowerAMP, which has been mentioned on this site many times.
    Lame is a good mp3 compressor if you want mp3&#39;s, though mp3 is fading away and being rapidly replaced with various AAC (Advanced Audio Codec). Mp3 was good in its day, but if you wanting the higher quality of your music preserved, use AAC, MPC or Ogg-Vorbis or Mp4.
    Ofcourse those with enough disk space will opt for a lossless format. Which there is an AAC-Lossless format from what i understand.
    I would stay away from Windows Media, unless you never plan to use any other operating system. But using Windows Media just helps Microsoft dictate standards which can greatly affect your ability to control your own music in the future. Personally i was never impressed with WMA, with its acquistion of Liquid Audio, it more than likely "innovated"; hence purchased someone elses IP; which was of high quality design and branded it as another Microsoft Innovation. This acquiring LA gave them their technology - most likely to come out with their lossless wma.

SoberTillNoon

CDex is a very good converter. Check it out.

-W-

I&#39;ve found 2 WMA to MP3 converts. Both offer trials

First 1 (30 day trial)

Advanced Encode Decode Tools 1.062e includes only Hi-Fi sound compression algorithms and a unique AC3 decoder. Easily converts between WMA, Mpeg Audio Layer 3, Ogg Vorbis and WAV PCM format audio files with ID3 tags support. It also decodes AC3 format files to WMA, Mpeg Audio Layer 3, Ogg Vorbis and WAV PCM formats. Features user-friendly multilingual interface and includes single-mode operation for one-file conversion, batch-mode for several files processing and Audio CD Ripping with FreeDB support.

Program Information

A striking all-in-one tool for home and office use with only Hi-Fi sound compression algorithms and a unique AC3 decoder.

Main features :

Easy Installation
    Multilingual interface available in 12 languages.
    Batch mode processing
    Fastest WMA Decoder . Windows Media™ 9 Format New support for variable bit rate (VBR)
    LAME MP3 DLL interface
    AudioCD ripping mode* You can use the Audio CD ripping mode for converting audio tracks to any supported format.
    FreeDB (CDDB) support With the help of CDDB/FreeDB you can download detailed Audio CD description from the Internet. Save your time - why type it again if someone had already done it?
    Unique AC-3 decoder** AC-3 format file may contain up to 6 audio channels.

Second 1 (10 conversions)

ACE-HIGH MP3 WAV WMA OGG Converter is designed for converting batches of MP3, WAV, WMA, OGG Vorbis files from one formart to another on-the-fly. And it also supports editing MP3&#39;s id3 tags and normalzing WAVs.

Every time, you need to convert from one format to another, you need to click the tabs to set the focus to the right window, and then press the "Add ..." button to browse the source files for converting. After choosing the right files, then press the "Convert" button to start converting.

guest_cruZe

Can anyone help me Im trying to convert WMA files to MP3 , Any ideas

Beta

I use audio convert ver.2.0.
    Maybe someone could suggest a free alternative ?

DjSteff

anybody have a good software to convert ogg wav mp3 etc..

h34r:

Super Moderator

Search for the free ogg converters, dBPowerAmp, OggdropXP

Marty

This is a very late reply, I know, but I have only just discovered this site.
    Recording your wma files to mp3 can be done ina trice using Creative Audio Converter if you have it, but your sound card must have a "what you hear" setting as a recording source. (kind of a built in software patch cable).

There is another 2 step process for converting wma to mp3. Burn an audio cd of your wma files then rip them back to mp3 using mmjb or any of the other CD to mp3 rippers. Way to go if all else fails.

I wouldn&#39;t worry about the sound quality too much. In reality, most people listen to their mp3&#39;s and other "portable" music in less than ideal environments like the car, noisy public places, etc. It&#39;s not a format you would tolerate as an audiophile, but it&#39;s the way to go for music listening as a distraction, which it was it was designed for.

azcayote101

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7]This may have been asked a gazillion times, but to save time looking through past posts, what program should i use to convert .wav or .mp3 files into .ra&#39;s?

Steve

Super Moderator

Saving who time? You, or the people having to repeat what has already been written? Since you posted in the wrong board already, I will have to spend MY time looking for the correct post.