Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    guest_Kat

I've noticed that there seems to be an audio ad in my aim. It happens once in a while but is still annoying. When I try to sign off of aim my computer restarts. Is there anything I can do to get rid of this? :angry:

Super Moderator

Try looking through the directory for AIM and remove all *.wav files, this may remove the annoying audio ad. Dont just delete them, move them to a seprate folder. you can play each one also, in another audio player, so you dont remove any audio files you wish to keep.
    If the ad is being sent via the ad server, then you cant remove it, you may be able to block the ad from being sent into your computer.
    By the way, there was absolutely NO need to post this same message in every single board. The others have been deleted.

[i]Originally posted by locustfurnace+Feb 28 2004, 01:25 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (locustfurnace @ Feb 28 2004, 01:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>... NO need to post this same message in every single board. ..[/b]
    kinda the same annoyance factor as those adds in AIM &#33;

<!--QuoteBegin-- @4149,1436726,00.asp]http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1436726,00.asp
    By Lance Ulanoff, Why AIM Will Eventually Fail[/quote]I dont use aim but it doesnt sound very appealing even as free&#33; You could search the forum for other AIM threads to read other possible solutions.

heres a hint...if you cant stop/remove it, just close your buddy list
    it&#39;ll stop the talking AD..... B)

The best way to do this is by adding this line to your WINDOWS HOST FILE:

127.0.0.1 ar.atwola.com

This will block all ads in aim&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&# 33;&#33;&#33; and icq&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

The Dude

Broke as Hell

So I&#39;m NOT the only one with this problem. I was wondering why I was hearing ads... :blink:

Muad'Dib

dont use aim, use Trillian.

www.trillian.cc

myfriendwilly7

NO dont remove all wav files or all the little sounds you hear when you send and receive msgs, sign on&#092;offs, and all that stuff will be gone. Its not even a wav file. Who would make an ad in the huge wav file format? Only dsl users could recieve it. More likely it is an OGG file or something like it, and i will also bet that it is deep in your temp file, not in the aim folder. locustfurnace, you are the forum leader right? <_<

Super Moderator

I am the forum mod, and yes, it can be a wav file, wav files do not have to be 40megs files, rem there are many ways you can structure a wav, from 8bit, mono, 8000hz, it does not all have to be CD quality.
    They wont be using Ogg since they never had in the past. and it would then require a ogg decoder installed on each system.
    ICQ, which is also owned by AOL, uses wav files.
    In the ICQ folder on my system, there are currently 34 wav files. Occupying a grand total of 407kbs.

myfriendwilly7

Thats because windows has an integrated, quick wave player. But have you heard the ads? Theyre better than 8000hz 8 bit stuff. (And i have cool edit which lets me go lower than that-- i could make a 2000hz 4 bit file if i wanted, though arguably it would sound like crap). As an admaker, why not compress to a 8000hz 8 bit ogg file? Then it would be REALLY small.

and locustfurnace, just cuz i disagreed with you on one topic doesnt mean you have to search out every one of my posts and try to find something wrong with them. :blink:

By the way, the ad opens with the AIM DAILY thing. That runs under Internet Explorer, which has a build in mp3 decoder among other things. for example, go to www.sffclub.com . The homepage has an mp3 file embedded. Check the source file. And it plays without opening a separate window; aim ads are capable of the same.

"The Big Willy"