Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    narcotoboy

I personally use the Google toolbar to block the pop ups. It's so convenient to use and there's no extra programs that need to be open.
    It's done wonders for me.
    *looks at the 38909 it blocked*

I started using ZoneAlarm Pro with Web Filtering version 4.5.538.000 a few months ago, and configured it to block pop-ups. I've only seen one pop-up since.

The "free" versions of ZoneAlarm don't have this feature.

I use Mozilla Firefox and the intergrated pop-up blocker included. I have never seen an unwanted pop-up with it, so I guess it gets the job done.

TheBulbasaurfreak

I also use Mozilla FireFox to block pop-ups but If I have to use IE, i use PanicWare's Pop-Up Stopper Free Edition.

narcotoboy

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I also use ZoneAlarm Pro version 4.123 or something.

Super Moderator

I've used many applications, from Webwasher, to SlimBrowser; with its integrated pop-up stopped, Host blocking files, Squid & Dans guardian, but I found the most effective way is to just disable javascripting.

Also, side note, an interesting article about ZoneAlarm
    Subject Zone Alarm TROJAN disguised as FIREWALL

Something very interesting i found out about POP UPS in IE the other day is worth sharing:

I use MyIE2,so i dont (luckily) have to worry about popups,but i recently opened my intergrated IE6 and went HERE and ran the popup test,AND I HAD ZERO POPUPS!!

I was using IE6!!! Which has no popup blocking !! So i remembered what i did:

1) Goto CONTROL PANEL
    2) GOTO ADD/REMOVE
    3) GOTO WINDOWS SETUP
    4) GOTO SYSTEM TOOLS (click on system tools)
    5) SCROLL DOWN TO 'WINPOPUP' AND UNINSTALL IT!!!! (UNCHECK IT,THEN CLICK APPLY) This program controls popups over a network,when its gone,your popups are cut in half!!! (or none)

Just thought i would share this,lets hear others results,this is awesome!!! (I dont use IE normally, but find this very interesting 2 say the least!&#33Anyone else having this luck when uninstalling this file??

The Dude

Super Moderator

WINPOPUP is a messaging system, included in Windows. There is an exploit that can used to make it appear as ad pop-ups but it should have no impact on the website pop-ups you experience for normal ads.
    It wont hurt to remove it. But I dont see any decrease in the number of webpage generated ad pop-ups just by doing this. As most webpage generated pop-ups are javascripting.
    Winpopup uses ports 137, 138 and 139 so you can easily block that sort of spam by your firewall.
    If you do plan to remove the file, you should not just delete it, rename the file from Winpopup.exe to Winpopup.old.

I have used winpopup on many networked systems. I find it useful if many people are on the lan, you can send a single message to everyone. This makes it convenient if people do not use ICQ or AOL, or you are somewhere on someone else's LAN, such as an Internet Cafe, Library, and just want to chat with your friends on who are also on the network.

I use this little stopper and even though it's small and free, only a very few get in. I something is blocked that you want to see just look down at the little widget and you just click to get it. You can also set it to allow popups from sites you want. If you change your mind, you can take them off the allow list.

Go Here

MyIE2 has the BEST popup stopper anywhere mates!!!

The Dude