Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who the hell would want WinXP anyway?????????

I have heard of so many problems with compatibility with XP its not even funny!!!

I think ill stick with 98 bud,looks like locustfurnace agrees

The Dude
    Last edited by The Dude; 11-23-2007 at 07:27 AM.

I use Windows XP..

It's way more secure and stable than Windows 98, as it's actually built upon the NT kernel.
    Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper

Administrator

i dont think locustfurnace agreed particularly about windows xp i think if you read the thread properly he made his point and closed the thread because it was advertising piracy, not the issue of disliking xp. i think he would more than likely prefered it if you had not started this thread to carry on a subject he had answered and closed..and further more most of the problems people have with that particular os are down to older components that are not supported.
    simply me

Super Moderator

'the_gaffer' is correct, I was not making a statement about Xp, I was closing a thread.
    I own every single version of Windows, but I prefer 98se. For the money, I do not see a reason to upgrade to XP from 98se, if it does what you want it to do. Since windows is windows no matter which version you run, you might as well stick with whatever you like.
    The improvements are minimal for the cost of XP. The 'innvoations' are not really NEW, they are just scavengered from previous MS product lines.
    If you only know and run a single OS, then sure, upgrade all you want. But for those who own dozens of computers and run multiples Operating Systems. It is not worth the price for what little it offers.
    It might be the most stable of the line, but honestly I do not have stability problems with Win98se. Alot of the instability problems arise not from the OS, but the programs one installs and runs. If you can match up good quality software with your OS, then you wont be fasted with stability problems. BSOD usually are from unstable software from 3rd party products. Once you sort that mess out, you can be BSOD free for a long long time. I've had this Win98se box setup for well over 500 days and have no had any major problems with it.
    Just watch the hardware you buy, dont buy unknown brands of devices, dont keep changing or upgrading the drivers if the system works with the current drivers.
    I currently only run XP Pro in a Virtual Machine, as I do not want or need that much bloat in an OS.
    Most people's problems with XP, are just as the_gaffer states, they want to run XP and not meet the minimal requirements, which are rather steep for a desktop OS. Especially that it requires over 128megs RAM to boot, and win95; just requires 8megs RAM, yet performs all similar tasks of the later OS. Many problems also are that people using the XP OS, do not understand the NT line, as they are mostly 9x past users and are unfamiliar with the security procedures of the OS. So this causes many problems, not that its the OS's fault, but the user does not fully understand what they have, and most are not willing to learn.
    I've used over 100 different operating systems and have not yet found a perfect system. Just as with any tool, you must chose the right tool for the job. DOS might be an idea job for a simple writers machine or a quick embedded music jukebox and OS/2Warp X finds it's way to to the ATM cash machines we use everywhere, to the medical equipment using the OS from QNX, to a high security firewall using OBSD.
    Windows is just a tool for a job, it works well for a desktop OS, and IRIX works well in workstations for 3D Rendering, movie magic.

If what you have works for you, why upgrade based on what other people say it *might* do for you. Just upgrade if you want, but don't expect to be trouble free, or believe in the hype. Windows XP wont change the world, it's just software. XP wont feed the starving, it's just software.

Mechhead

Ahhhh....but then you have the background music to contend with. Now that DollarBill has most of the Software vendors in his corner, they're making the newest versions of EVERYTHING "XP mandatory"! This spells out the doom of most of the older OS's, given the normal path of software users that require the "Lateset and Greatest" of each program they own. Get used to it....DollarBill is closing the door on legacy OS's so that he can pursue his newest farce **LONGHORN**. The next year or so should be a lot of fun..........

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Mechhead@Aug 23 2004, 09:49 AM
    they're making the newest versions of EVERYTHING "XP mandatory"!* The next year or so should be a lot of fun..........
    Most vendors have been in the Microsoft corner for a long time. Look at the lack of Apple Software from the big companys.
    As for being "forced" to upgrade to XP. As you say, the "Big Software vendors", last time i used, purchased a piece of software from those big vendors was a long, long time ago.
    There is no reason to have to use a piece of software anymore from those companys, As you can usually find a free (Microsoft influence-Free as well) alternative.

Need a database, pick PostgreSQL or MySQL.
    a graphics editor, go with The Gimp
    Video editor, try Kino or MainActor
    Web server, use the best, go with Apache
    ps/pdf viewer, skip Adobe and go with Ghostview/Ghostscript
    Office Suite, try OpenOffice
    CD/DVD recording, nothing better than CDrtools
    Proxy app, use Squid
    content-filter, try Dansguardian
    DVD Player, use VLC
    Frontpage replacement, try NVU

What do you use that you must rely on a 'big software vendor' for these day anyhow?

Beta

Originally posted by locustfurnace@Aug 23 2004, 05:15 PM

What do you use that you must rely on a 'big software vendor' for these day anyhow?
    Your wallet

Administrator

i personally think all microsoft os to be a ridiculous price, i bought a cheap second user box with xp pro ready installed far chaeper than buying the os on its own, the only thing i like is the automatic search the internet for a device driver, ive had certain hardware that i just couldnt get a driver for but using this has found a driver no problem when i couldnt find one myself , apart from that i dont rate it any better than win me , loads of people hate m.e but i prefer it to any other os, again as LF has stated it depends what software you run with your os, and really a matter of personal preference
    simply me

chester_ting

I have windows XP and i dont care if its not stabe

Administrator

Originally posted by chester_ting@Aug 24 2004, 06:12 AM
    I have windows XP and i dont care if its not stabe
    your system is obviously quite stable or perhaps you would care, by unstable i dont think it was meant as a whole , just in a portion of machines, not all machines running xp are unstable, obviously as with any os xp will have its following of users that rate it the best but again that depends on what a particular machine is used for, i dont terribly dislike xp but really do prefer M.E , for running my photo editing apps ie photoshop etc and have had less lock ups under m.e than xp.
    simply me