Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator

I do believe you would care if it were unstable. XP is 'less' crash-prone than win9x, but it still crashes. For a comparison
    I have a box up thats running FreeBSD, for over 2 years (uptime) it has been running without a single crash. Thats stability!
    If you consider how many times you have crashed or locked up in 2 years of running winXP, non-stop, without a reboot. Can XP claim it is stable?

While moving files under Slackware one day, i moved roughly 16,000 files across multiple partitions without a single hiccup. I then rebooted to Windows98, opened Windows Explorer, then edited a single file, and deleted a single file, and the box locked up.

ShadowFalls

I can say I have had a far better experience with Windows XP then I have when any other previous Windows operating system, I prefer to use it before any other Windows OS, but in case I have need of running older software I have Windows 98SE in a virtual machine. Yes, I can say Windows XP is bloated, but you can turn off alot of the resource hogging features that make it look like the Fisherprice OS it is.
    Stability? under Windows XP, my system has never locked up once, but it does get slow at time due to extended use in which a simple restart cures it.
    if you install it on an older machine, don't expect alot of Windows XP, you would be better of With Windows 98 or 2000.
    With Windows 98 I have had a poor experience with, the BSOD was constant with 90% of the time it being explorer causing it.(not internet explorer):P and then its ability to "lose" files.

But in reality, there is no need to push one or the other, if you are using Windows XP and you like it, Great!
    if you are using Windows 98 and enjoying it, Excellent! It really doesn't matter what others think as long as you are happy with your experience with it and it does everything you need it to do.

By the way, Go Slackware!

chester_ting

Originally posted by the gaffer+Aug 24 2004, 07:41 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (the gaffer @ Aug 24 2004, 07:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--chester_ting@Aug 24 2004, 06:12 AM
    I have windows XP and i dont care if its not stabe
    your system is obviously quite stable or perhaps you would care, by unstable i dont think it was meant as a whole , just in a portion of machines, not all machines running xp are unstable, obviously as with any os xp will have its following of users that rate it the best but again that depends on what a particular machine is used for, i dont terribly dislike xp but really do prefer M.E , for running my photo editing apps ie photoshop etc and have had less lock ups under m.e than xp. [/b][/quote]
    I mean like lots of people complain about how slow and crashing and security holes it has but its fine for me.

ShadowFalls

Originally posted by chester_ting@Aug 25 2004, 03:15 AM
    I mean like lots of people complain about how slow and crashing and security holes it has but its fine for me.
    well every Windows operating system has security holes so peopel can always complain about that if they want, when it comes to slow and crashing it is probably their system being improperly configured or too inefficient for it