Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quicktime

Naelphin

I have an old computer, and had to remove my old version of quicktime, 6.0.2

The main website only goes up to V5, despite the current level being 6.4

Does anyone have a link to a copy of the 6.0.x series for download? 6.3+ is too slow for my old computer.

Or, is there a version of QuickTimeAlternative that uses the 6.0.x series? the ones I've seen use 6.3.x

Naelphin

Thanks for the links, I won't delete the installer this time!

I have an old computer (about 7 years old) and I need Quicktime ver. 2.0 and below because I can't find it in any site neither apple's. Quicktime 6.3 can never even play a movie despite its mhz.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Guest+Nov 29 2003, 04:06 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Nov 29 2003, 04:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I need Quicktime ver. 2.0 and below [/b]

have you tried the 2.1.2 version on the main page? being a 7 year old computer, it is prolly around 200Mhz?? it should be able to use Qt3, Qt4 without problems
    how much RAM do you have installed, and what is the CPU.
    Quicktime 2.03 can run on a 486, with Win3.1 & a system with 8 megs RAM.
    If your system is better than these, then you should be able to run Qt3, you saying since QT6 doesnt work, you want QT2? why such a leap backwards?
    QT2 was available in 1995, which is older than your computer, as you said your system is 7 years old.
    http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=quicktime
    <!--QuoteBegin--Guest
    @Nov 29 2003, 04:06 AM
    Quicktime 6.3 can never even play a movie despite its mhz.[/quote]
    despite the computers CPU speed??
    are you trying to watch .qt, .mov files locally, such as ones on the HardDrive, or across the internet? If your trying to watch a movie across the net, then your streaming the file, for good playback then, you need a fast internet connection, if your on dial-up access, you really wont be able to watch QT movies without alot of slowness, frames dropped, jittering, as the file can be playing faster than you can stream it.
    and if the movie is streaming, then those older versions of QT will not be able to view those files, as it was not designed for todays codec&#39;s, compression of newer Quicktime encoders, and i do not think it even has the ability to access the net and stream, as this was not a popular format when QT2 was coded. there would have been little or no need for the player to handle http connections or stream movies, as most people still suffered from extremely slow dial-up speeds, in the area of 28.8kbps.

Well, I have an old computer, 120 Mhz, its a comtrade, it has 48 mb of ram it uses windows 98, and the reason why I want quicktime 2.0 and below because I have so many games that use quicktime and I need the older versions so I can install those if the one I installed from the CD screws up. Quicktime 6.3 wouldn&#39;t run a movie at all and quicktime 4 runs good execpt pulling down the channels list is slow. I can&#39;t install quicktime 4.0 because for the movies online, it wouldn&#39;t let me view them because the movies use a later version of quicktime. I dont use streaming but I don&#39;t really know how good the online thing goes because I have other computers. When I viewed the movies on my old cpu with quicktime 4.1.2 the sample had a little freeze then it went on good and the Quicktime 2.x sample movie never froze on quicktime 4.1.2 and it went the same on the other 2.1.2 or 2.0. I have both quicktime 2.1.2 and 2.0 installed because some games use that version of quicktime and some a little older games use 2.0.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Guest+Nov 30 2003, 01:34 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Nov 30 2003, 01:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Well, I have an old computer, 120 Mhz, its a comtrade...[/b]

I remember Comtrade, i actually ordered a system through them before, but they never called me back, so i cancelled orders and went with mwave, does the Comtrade system you have, have the Diamond Video card? and it would have been a 2meg card.
    If you still have the original Diamond card, or whatever card you got with it, and it only has the 2megs video ram, that will also cause the Quicktime video to be played back slowly.

you also have to rem that with a system that old, you most likely have an older hard drive, which is slow, prolly using PIO 3,4 mode, Slower hard drives spin & access data slower, if the movie was designed to play faster than what the HD can access the data at. then the movie will be jerky as well.
    also your RAM is EDO or FP memory, again it is slower than todays, you will have 60 or 70ns speed memory, running at 66mhz.

Originally posted by -Guest@Nov 30 2003, 01:34 AM
    When I viewed the movies on my old cpu with quicktime 4.1.2 the sample had a little freeze then it went on good and the Quicktime 2.x sample movie never froze on quicktime 4.1.2 and it went the same on the other 2.1.2 or 2.0. I have both quicktime 2.1.2 and 2.0 installed because some games use that version of quicktime and some a little older games use 2.0.
    The QT 2.0 sample movie was made for older systems, alot more info was deleted in the movie, it might have not been full color either, possibly just 16bit color video. So it would play back very smooth ofcourse.
    <!--QuoteBegin--Guest
    @Nov 30 2003, 01:34 AM
    Quicktime 6.3 wouldn&#39;t run a movie at all and quicktime 4 runs good execpt pulling down the channels list is slow. [/quote]
    right because it was designed for systems with alittle more power, also, your CPU, being an Intel 120MHZ NON-MMX (multi-media extensions), can not handle software that requires MMX technology. So it runs alot slower, or not at all.

Your computer is not designed for new versions of QT, you lack the ram, CPU instruction sets.
    so I can see why you need older versions, i dont see why you need anything earlier than 2.0, I wonder if there is even a copy of QT1.0 for the Windows system, it is possible there never was a 1.0 release of QT for windows. As Qt started in the Mac world and was used for sometime.
    I have an old Macintosh Quardra 650 running at 33mhz, and i have played QT movies on it. never tried any new movies though, just the ones that came on the OS8 CD.

Well I have two hard drives, one bought 2 years after I bought the computer which has 8 GB of space (C:&#092;) and the other original drive has 1.6 GB of space (D:&#092;) For the video card I&#39;m not sure about the Diamond Video card. I&#39;m currently using S3 Virge. It says in my device manager.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Guest@Nov 30 2003, 04:20 AM
    Well I have two hard drives, one bought 2 years after I bought the computer which has 8 GB of space (C:&#092 and the other original drive has 1.6 GB of space (D:&#092 For the video card I&#39;m not sure about the Diamond Video card. I&#39;m currently using S3 Virge. It says in my device manager.
    Did you have to use any Hard Drive overlay software for the motherboard to be able to use the 8Gigs? Since a computer that old would have had a cylinder limitation at the 2.1Gig mark. then next limitation being the 8gig. (depending on year of bios ofcourse)
    If you stick the Virtual Memory (swap space) on the D drive, you may see a slight increase in performance on the system, as now the OS will have the ability to write and read at the same time from seperate drives. though with the age of the first drive, the 1.6, it may or might not improve, but always worth a test.
    They may have changed the video cards in models, I was looking at the systems in 1994/95 when they had the Diamond Viper cards.

I think so. It included a floppy disk to install the hard drive.