Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aim

well umm.. i might sound dumb but how exactly do you add it to your host file?

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Guest@Sep 23 2004, 11:42 PM
    well umm.. i might sound dumb but how exactly do you add it to your host file?
    Find the hosts file under C:\windows (on win9x systems), if it is not there, then create a new file.
    You can add the ip address given by the_dude by using a text editor on the mentioned file, and type in that line.

The same procedure can be used to block any ads from websites, or be used to speed up access to certain sites as well.

1) Open Notepad
    2) Goto OPEN and browse to the windows directory.......
    3) CHOOSE ALL FILE TYPES
    4) Scroll thru until you find 1 that says "hosts" (Notice the lowecase h) (There are several host files,the one you want is either in windows or system32 if on XP)
    5) Add this line to your host file: 127.0.0.1 ar.atwola.com

This makes your computer search YOUR COMPUTER for aim ads instead of the net resulting in NOTHING BEING DISPLAYED (Also works for ICQ)

Good Luck!!!!

Dark Star

Aim Ad hack is another option.

AIM Ad Hack is the only program that fully removes the ads and options you don't want in AIM instead of just hiding them. Thats why you may still get pop ups and audio ads in other AIM programs. Also AIM Ad Hack actually modifies AIM itself, it is not a program that loads every time along with AIM like deadaim and after you run AIM Ad Hack once it never needs to be run again until you upgrade to a new version of AIM.

Tim

Originally posted by Dark Star@Sep 29 2004, 03:01 PM
    Aim Ad hack is another option.

AIM Ad Hack is the only program that fully removes the ads and options you don't want in AIM instead of just hiding them. Thats why you may still get pop ups and audio ads in other AIM programs. Also AIM Ad Hack actually modifies AIM itself, it is not a program that loads every time along with AIM like deadaim and after you run AIM Ad Hack once it never needs to be run again until you upgrade to a new version of AIM.
    Wow, AIM hack is really worth checking out, it makes the process so easy, so you can still use the latest version but not have to deal with all the crap that goes along with it.

Camus

hello there, I'm new to OV, and I am glad I found this place.

so, here comes my newbie question :P

Now, I downloaded AIM 3.5, I want to run it, but I dont know how to get past the "you are using an obsolete aim version" screen, what do I have to do?

Totally UNINSTALL AIM,run a reg cleaner such as REG SEEKER (To clean up all un needed keys) Then re-install aim,you'll be good to go....

Good Luck

ok...I'm doing that right now, but what I dont get, is why that will work...I mean, I never installed aim on this PC (always used trillian/miranda in this one) so I dont see why a registry entry would keep me from running the AIM ver I want to run.

just in case I didnt explain myself well enough the first time, The problem I hav, is that when I have everything installed and I try to sign on the "you are running an obsolete version of aim" message appears.

Super Moderator

A registry entry would cause a problem, IF, you had a later version installed and were trying to downgrade. So that should be be an issue in your situation.

Why do you want to run an older version by the way?
    Have you considered using Gaim, its similar to Trillian (but without the cost).
    http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

well...no, I think it's something in the network that doesnt allow old versions, it must identify them someway.

how is it that some people here are using 1.0 and the like?

hm...tried the registry thing already, didnt work, I never had a newer version of aim installed.

the reason I want an old version is that I want to use miranda for all the other IMprogs, and I want an old AIM specifically to direct connect, since it never really works with progs like trillian or miranda.

I guess I could use a newer version, but I'd like to use the smallest version that can Direct connect avaliable.