Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Aim

Super Moderator

Originally posted by The Dude@Aug 27 2004, 04:04 AM
    The dude that asked if aim had TABBED IMing,that would be interesting......

GAIM
    Has tabbed chatting.
    A multi-protocol instant messaging (IM) client for Linux, BSD, MacOS X, and Windows. It is compatible with AIM (Oscar and TOC protocols), ICQ, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, IRC, Jabber, Gadu-Gadu, and Zephyr networks,

Tasty_Cat

I made the mistake of downloading the new aim version 5.9.3690
    It's like the new version of Yahoo IM, it doesn't allow you to customize it like you could. So, I'm been looking for the lastest version before the change, but I'm having trouble locating it, & I don't recall what prior version I had except that it was 5.5. Now, I know there was some sort of opening for hackers in the 5.5 version, & it was updated at some point, but I don't know which version is the one where that was taken care of, so I want to make sure I get the fixed one.
    Now, here on the site, it says the Current Version - 5.5.3598, with the last available download being, AOL Instant Messenger 5.5.3595 (4.0 MB).
    Well, that's now inaccurate since the new 5.9 version is out.
    Elsewhere on another site, I found this location for old versions: ftp://ftp.newaol.com/aimgen/73010/
    However, the latest is 5.5.3590 before it switches to 5.9, & I don't see a version 5.5.3598 there.
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator

welcome to OV tasty cat, just a couple of pointers for ya , when posting always try to add to an existing thread of the same topic , that way it keeps all info on a subject linked together and not spread about all over the forum and making it harder for others to locate, also if you are seeking a version of a program which i believe you are, it would be more suited in the request section ,after doing a search as it may of been previously requested and fulfilled. i cannot answer your question personally as i do not use this app myself but im sure there are many that do who will help you out further
    simply me

It would be interesting to find a secret version of aim out there that had EVERY OPTION on it,if peeps blocxked you,you could still see them,etc........Anyone no if ne thing like this exists?????

Rocket_pony22

Just to let everyone know,
    the newest version of AIM is horrible. DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT! It makes is so that you can only choice aol AIM expressions [not ones random people on the internet have made which are much more cool] and it makes u pay for a lot of these "new features" if u want them. :angry: So stick with the old versions!

Rocket_pony22

Yes,

The latest version of aim BLOWS CHUNKS!!!!!!! It IS terrible!!!!!!

Stick with 3598ca or lower!!!!!!!! (Read the 1st post on this thread to obtain a copy of 3598ca)

The Dude
    Last edited by The Dude; 05-05-2009 at 01:42 AM.

Ocarina

my friends and I prefer version 4.8, before they started adding all those evil and space consuming features.

how do you remove the games thing at the botom and the ad at top. also how to stop aim today from poping up everytime you start it?

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Guest@Sep 21 2004, 11:45 PM
    how do you remove the games thing at the botom and the ad at top. also how to stop aim today from poping up everytime you start it?
    If running Windows9x, you can stop AOL from loading by either removing the start-up menu item, or using the msconfig utility to disable it from loading.
    Click the Start->RUN type msconfig and select the startup tab. and uncheck AOL IMS item from loading.
    As far as removing the ads, it would depend on which version you are running, and if there is a patch available.
    Another choice is to just use an alternative chat client, such as GAIM. Which can be found on the thread Alternative Chat Clients

You can block the ads by simply adding this to your HOST FILE:

127.0.0.1 ar.atwola.com

No more ads!!!!!!!!!&# 33;!!

Good Luck!!!!!!!