Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Aim

Beta

I don't know if it applies to installing old versions of AIM, but I have some old apps. that won't install unless the computer clock is wound back a few years :-/

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Jaime Andrés@Oct 14 2004, 05:47 PM
    I don't know if it applies to installing old versions of AIM, but I have some old apps. that won't install unless the computer clock is wound back a few years :-/
    Chat communication software uses a &#39;Client&#39; and a &#39;Server&#39;. The server software which resides on AOL&#39;s boxes, can be changed easily to disallow certain clients from connecting. This is accomplished through a &#39;handshake&#39; by the software. It was be for the most part as simple as asking the client software which version is it, and IF it is < 3.8 then deny.

Im so sorry Camus I thought you had run a newer version of AIM and were trying to downgrade to a better version.... (MY WAY WOULD HAVE WORKED IF THAT WAZ THE CASE)

Good Luck 2 you regardless&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

The Dude

ok..yeah dude, np, thanks for putting some time to helping me anyway =) I&#39;ll see if I can somehow email one of the guys who said they had an old ver.

locust....I imagined that would be the case...as you can see in my last post,I&#39;m no computer wiz though, so I really have no insight into how IMing actually works, although I did suppose Aol could ban certain versions from their server.

do you know how some of the guys who said they were using old versions here are logging on succesfully?

maybe they connect to a non-aol server? I really got no idea what it could posibly be...so if any of the guys who said they were using old vers see this, please help me =)

Spring Rubber

I want to see for myself just how bad the new version of AIM is...

Would there be any problem with just installing it and leaving my old versions still installed?

I wouldn&#39;t see any problem, unless of course the new version alters certain files and/or automatically deletes all older versions.

Ya might be able to install it in a different folder and keep your currnt version (I have done this be4 for testing and stuff)

Good Luck&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Originally posted by Spring Rubber@Oct 19 2004, 03:38 PM
    I want to see for myself just how bad the new version of AIM is...

Would there be any problem with just installing it and leaving my old versions still installed?

I wouldn&#39;t see any problem, unless of course the new version alters certain files and/or automatically deletes all older versions.
    you could try the new version after creating a restore point on your computer and if it messes things up use the restore point to roll it back to, that is if you have system restore on your pc

sportsluvr2

I had AIM on my former laptop w/ WIN98SE (it was in the AIM 4.x family- don&#39;t remeber exact version). Laptop&#39;s hardware crashed and I had to buy new laptop.

New laptop has XP Professional (with NIS 2004 Pro) and after reading from various sites how horrible AIM 5.9 is (lots of spyware and too jazzed up) I am not sure which AIM version to download.

I&#39;m debating b/t AIM 4.7 (NIS 2004 Pro supports versions 4.7 and above), 4.8, or 5.5.

My gut says I should download either 4.7 or 4.8 since they are less "jazzed" than 5.5.

Is AIM 4.8 the way to go??
    How does 4.8 compare to 4.7 (I&#39;m assuming it&#39;s not a change in features but rather fixing a security issue?)?

How does 4.8 compare to 5.5? What are the pros and cons of 4.8 and 5.5 each respectively?
    Thanks in adavance for your help&#33;

The Dude

I would say aim 5.5.3590 is the best (Read my first post on this thread)

But if you want 1 client to handle all services (Aim,ICQ,Yahoo, Msn,IRC) then Im2 is for you.....

Secure,voice/video,etc...........

Only thing is,i havent figured out how to get it to connect to IRC propley (Not that i need it,i have MIRC for that)

Kliegl

Was just wondering if anyone could tell me if there is an AIM version that still checks the central server for your buddy list, but doesn&#39;t have ads, or the "Today" window or anything else other than the buddy list, and file transfer capability.

Thanks.