Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

newsy1

I have been downloading music thru something called ishareit, which I thought was Kazaa lite, since I got hooked up with it when I did a search for Kazaa lite. I was directed to a site where I paid 19.95 for the sharing software. Now I'm wondering if I got taken advantage of since I'm seeing some posts saying you should never pay for sharing software. Anyway, Ishareit lost all of its users when I logged on on 4/16/04. I'm new to file sharing, and am totally confused. Can anyone shed some light?

Salopette

Could you please tell me which scam site asked you to pay for Kazaa Lite?
    Kazaa Lite is a free file sharing app and if any site asks for money, don't give it.
    If you want to use Kazaa Lite download it from the link below, but don't use Ishareit..
    Cheers

Dowload K-Lite 2.6

newsy1

To Salleporte: The sit the that apparently scammed me was ishareit.com. Of course, I did not realize it at the time. I'm still using that service (it was a one time fee) and it's working just fine (the problem I wrote about disappeared after I rebooted my computer). I paid the fee thinking this made K-Lite legal. I'm assuming K-Lite is legal whether I paid or not, correct? Not sure what I should do right now. Of course I'm not happy I paid for something that I didn't have to. But I am able to download so I don't know if it's worth my trouble trying to get my money back. Anyway, thanks for the response!

Salopette

At http://www.im-l.com the are all the instructions for reporting the scam site and getting back your money. Just go on the option "Never pay for a filesharing program"

Super Moderator

Originally posted by newsy1@Apr 17 2004, 08:52 AM
    I paid the fee thinking this made K-Lite legal. I'm assuming K-Lite is legal whether I paid or not, correct?
    Using the app would be legal, but that does not make the activities legal. If you are downloading copyrighted works; which is not legal, paying for the program to download the works does not make that practice legit. It is not at all like Apples's 'I-Tunes'; which is legal music downloading. Most of the copyrighted songs on Kazaa and the other p2p titles is not legal to download music. Ditto for copyrighted software.

Paying for filesharing apps is not all a scam either, many software titles do have a fee for the software, these are sharware titles. Many of the Mac OS X titles are fee based. This helps pay the software developers, and encourages them to continue work on the software.
    Paying for software which IS free everywhere; is released as freeware, thats a scam.

the watching eye

has anyone else noticed the fact that saloppette has not been around for a while and then he returns and the forum goes kazaa crazy, seems he has to take a break and think of some more questions kazaa related so he can return and use them, kazaa spamming if you ask me, just my observation, i myself am unregistered but do visit a lot , and notice things like this.

Salopette

If there is a topic related to Kazaa, I post in it. :angry:

newsy1

Thanks to Salopette and locustfurnace for the responses. I'm still new to p2p and am learning a lot form this site. As for the legalities of downloading, I'm still a bit confused. Ishareit swears it's 100 percent legal, for software AND downloads. But everything else I've read calls that claim into question. I did download other versions of Kazaa lite from the link provided by salopette, but I haven't tried to use it yet. I'm afraid it will screw up Ishareit, and since I know how to use that one and have already, rightfully or not, paid for it, I'd just assume keep using it. I'm still quite confused about how p2p works, what bandwith is, what 128k vs 52k vs any other ''K'' means. But as I said, I'm learning. Thanks for the input from you p2p veterans!

Super Moderator

Originally posted by newsy1+Apr 19 2004, 05:50 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (newsy1 @ Apr 19 2004, 05:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Ishareit swears it&#39;s 100 percent legal, for software AND downloads. [/b]

They are correct if you follow the User Agreeement and download legal downloads, such as the ones that are on this site; Freeware, shareware, public domain software, demoware.
    Some music is free to download, if they are permitted to be redistributed via the owners blessing.
    But you can not download copyrighted works. Such as programs which are retail, or music which is not permitted to be distributed. This is illegal. unless the service your paying for has contracts with the publishing house for the music. Fee-base downloads are happening alot now. With Apple&#39;s I-tunes, Napster and a few other places. But Kazaa is not making contracts with the music publishing house to insure the artists are being paid. The whole illegal issue really stems from royalty fee&#39;s. People are creating works, someone is coping it, and royalty&#39;s are not being collected for each download.
    Software is not the same as music, so they would have to have contracts with each company, such as Adobe for when users download Photoshop, Adobe can be paid per download. But this is not happening as of yet with the p2p programs.
    I don&#39;t have any doubts about what the Ishareit claims is legal. They are wrong when it comes to saying it is legal to download Adobe Photoshop (software).
    The Difference between Apples Itunes and Ishareit, is that Itunes is using a controlled system, which you download the songs from a central server, under Apples control, NOT from individual users.
    Thats one of the big differences between the legal services and not legal services.
    As there would be no control over what any user places in their cache, and permits downloading.
    <!--QuoteBegin--newsy1
    @Apr 19 2004, 05:50 PM
    still quite confused about how p2p works, what bandwith is, what 128k vs 52k vs any other &#39;&#39;K&#39;&#39; means. [/quote] This is the speed at which you download and transmit data. "Kb" stands for Kilobits, and the "KB" is kilobytes.
    A bit is either 0 or 1. a Byte is 8 consecutive bits.

When you have dial-up internet, it is usually rated at 56KBps (kilobits) downstream. and DSL is around 640KBps downstream. Downstream is how fast YOU receive data, not how fast you transmit data, which is usually much lower.
    Such as dial-up is usually around 33.6KBps upstream, and DSL is about 128KBps upstream. This would be how fast you transmit data, or how fast a user on a p2p network can transfer data. Which if you connect to a user, and you have 640KBps downstream, you can only recive as fast as they can transmit the data to you, which would be 128KBps.