Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Windows 98/SE

TheLegace

Default Windows 98/SE

Having trouble finding the windows 98/se, pretty much any version of windows before xp, so i can load that on and then install xp from there, my windows xp is on a cd and dos doesnt wanna load up the cd, so, maybe i need to install that....... would dos support windows xp on a dvd???? Would it work if it was on a cd???

Default Trouble Installing Windows XP

You may check your BIOS setting to boot your system from cd rom.
    this may help u.

mansoor abid

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegace
    Having trouble finding the windows 98/se, pretty much any version of windows before xp, so i can load that on and then install xp from there, my windows xp is on a cd and dos doesnt wanna load up the cd, so, maybe i need to install that....... would dos support windows xp on a dvd???? Would it work if it was on a cd???
    as already said you need to configure your bios to boot from your cd rom drive,alternatively you could use a start up disc in your floppy drive to start your computer and then install xp.there is no point in installing 98se then trying to install xp unless your xp disc is an upgrade disc as it will only format the drive before installing anyway.as far as asking for a version of windows etc,it would be illegal to supply links for any microsoft os.you have said your xp is on a CD is it a genuine microsoft disc or a cheap copy on cdr? if its a copy then thats most likely your problem,people try and burn these copies onto cheap cdrs and at high speeds and they are rubbish,trust me its far easier to try www.ebay.com or other auction sites etc and buy a genuine copy they are as cheap as chips nowadays.
    simply me

Super Moderator

DOS does not support DVD's.
    As stated, its the BIOS which boots the disk.
    Change your setting to boot from the CD/DVD drive.
    Otherwise, make the necessary boot floppys from the Windows XP disk.
    Is this an Official DVD release of Windows XP? Or a copy? If it is not an Official (if there are any?) then it could have been incorrectly duplicated. Then you will need to make the necessary boot disks.

You can get Windows 98se from the below link

[ Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition (113 MB) ]

[edited]
    Last edited by locustfurnace; 11-07-2005 at 02:29 PM.

Administrator

please do not post links for microsoft 98se downloads this is both illegal and forbidden on the ov forums,these links only get removed and often force the locking of threads which helps nobody.
    simply me