Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    guest_joe

Hi, is it possible to connect to msn messenger from behind a firewall on a corporate lan?

Please say it's possible, I've been without it for months.

Super Moderator

Yes it should be possible, look up which ports you will need to open, or forward, depending on the level of functions you wish to have.

joe113

I should also add that they have websense as well, they don't want us to be able to use it, you still think it's possible LF? As for level of functions, just to be able to connect and see when buddies come on line and be able to chat to them would be enough.

Thanks for your help,

Joe.

Super Moderator

You might have to contact your system admin and see if they would permit you to use msn. If they wont open any ports for use with MSN, you could always use a msn client which uses http (port 80) protocol. I think there is one listed in the pinned topic "Alternative Chat Clients"

joe113

thanks LF, but I'm afraid they have all those sites blocked with websense. Is there any way to configure messenger to work behind the firewall, without having to get the system administrator to open a port?

Thanks for your help

Joe.

Super Moderator

If they are blocking the sites, you could use a proxy to access those blocked websites, so you could use the chat clients.
    I do not know what websense does exactly, such as which ports it blocks, what sites it blocks or what it is using to block sites. That makes it difficult to determine how to gain access through it without knowing how it is doing the actual blocking.
    Have you tried any alternative chat clients?
    If your at work, and wanting to chat, there might be a good reason they are blocking you from using these apps. Such as they want their workers working.
    If you do manage to get through the firewall. You wont go unnoticed either. As i am sure the program ' websense' generates daily logs (graphs) of who (your IP) is using the most bandwidth in the company, etc. etc.
    If the office policy does not permit you to use these apps, and you do, they will have the legal rights to terminate you on the spot for violating the acceptable use policy. By simply bypassing their restrictions you are tampering with the computer, and under the law, any tampering is a federal offense.
    You assume any and all responsibilites if you do find a way past their restrictive use policy, you might want to review the contract with the company before you go further.
    This is why asking the system admin would be a better route to go, then to find a way on your own.
    Another thing to consider is what operating system are you using, if your using Win NT, Win2k or WinXP Pro, you might not have the user permissions to install software. So even if you do find a program, you may be unable to install it.
    Just write a quick email to the admin, explain why you want to use MSN, thats much better then having to find a new job since they fired you.

joe113

Hi Locust,
    I work in a government office in Dublin, Ireland. I'm using xp pro. I have the permission to install programs on the pc. I tried using online proxies, but I'm afraid they have these blocked also. Websense has a list of websites to block, this list is updated daily, and it is categorised, eg. sex, chat, etc. THe addresss of the server is simply websense and the port it's using is 8080. The I.T. section in this place are not very smart, so if I managed to get msn going, I'm not too sure if they'd know about it or would even bother to look in the first place. Either way, I'm quite confident that I won't get sacked over it. If you can come up with any idea on how to get my messenger operational again, I would be forever in your debt.

Joe.

Super Moderator

• httptunnel (Freeware)
      Creates a bidirectional virtual data connection tunnelled in HTTP requests. The HTTP requests can be sent via an HTTP proxy if so desired.
      This can be useful for users behind restrictive firewalls. If WWW access is allowed through a HTTP proxy, it's possible to use httptunnel and, say, telnet or PPP to connect to a computer outside the firewall.
    • Http-Tunnerl [subscription-fee]
      Tired of not being able to use applications because of a firewall/proxy at work or school? Here is the solution! HTTP-Tunnel is an application that allows you to use many popular internet applications from behind a firewall. If you can surf the web, you can use HTTP-Tunnel. HTTP-Tunnel has been tested with Napster, ICQ, Yahoo Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger, MSN Messenger and many more... Any application that supports SOCKS 4/5 proxies will work with HTTP-Tunnel. Even applications that don.t support SOCKS can be used via port-mapping.
    • Proxytunnel (FREEWARE)
      Create tunnels using HTTP and HTTPS proxies (That understand the HTTP CONNECT command). Work as a back-end driver for an OpenSSH client, and create SSH connections through HTTP(S) proxies. Work as a stand-alone application, listening on a port for connections, and then tunneling these connections to a specified destination
    • Socks2HTTP (DEMOWARE)
      It's a lightweight SOCKS proxy tunneling TCP/UDP traffic through HTTP proxy or a firewall. Works with programs like KaZaA, ICQ, Morpheus, WinMX, AOL IM, MSN IM, Trillian, FTP, telnet, ssh, and many others. If a client program does not support SOCKS protocol Socks2http works in conjunction with a "socksifier", like Sockscap32

Online site with howto;
    "Setting up a Secure SOCKS Proxy This tutorial will show you how to set up a secure SOCKS proxy server. Everything being sent to the proxy will be SSL-encrypted, and everything sent back from the proxy to you will also be encrypted. There is no encryption from the proxy to the web and back. Unless the site is an https site, this is impossible.
    An SSL-encrypted SOCKS will allow you to effectively tunnel through a firewall, therefore bypassing content control and any other restrictions placed on you by that particular network.
    "

joe113

thanks for trying Locust, but I'm afraid all of those links are blocked under the catorgory "proxy avoidance". Is it possible to get any of those programs on this site? If I get the programs, u think they'll work. thanks again man,

Joe.

Super Moderator

You could try the windows version of httptunnel;
    Httptunnel (win32)
    httptunnel (winNT)
    As far as working or not working, you'll have to be the tester and let the board know if they work, as i can not test these apps against websense.