Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Rustbucket

First off, one of my favorite sites, thanks for the old version of Real Jukebox before RealOne took over.

To my point, I d/l some of the older versions of YIM but none of them would connect. Don't know if Yahoo is not allowing this anymore or if it still detects remnants of the new messenger on my computer. This is my computer at work and it can't handle the new resource-hogging YIM. Made the mistake of trying it out and now there's no getting away from it.

The oldest version of Yahoo messenger i found that would connect is the 5.5 (I'm still using it right now) I like it cause it saves your off-lines till you decide to delete them NOT deleting them when the box is closed. You can find the full install of Yahoo messenger 5.5 here:

http://www.zakie.fsnet.co.uk/ChatRoomsStuf...erdownloads.htm

I recomend the April 14th, 2003 link, the last of the 5.5s and the least bugged.

BEASTIEBOYS

realone? isnt that the same company as real player? :blink:

Super Moderator

Originally posted by BEASTIEBOYS@Jun 15 2004, 03:42 PM
    realone? isnt that the same company as real player? :blink:
    Yes, Real Networks. Which gave you all those REAL software titles. such as RealPlayer, Real Encoder, RealJukebox, RealDownload, RealProducer, RealAudio, RealVideo, RealOne....
    Then it was purchased by AOL Time Warner. Who owns it and packs it full of its own special spam.
    AOL Time Warner=[*] Winamp[*] Netscape[*] ICQ[*] AOL AIM[*] Mapquest.com[*] MovieFone.com[*] DMOZ.org[*] REAL[*] Helix[*] CompuServe[*] ??

Dano

Just to chime in - since I came looking for an answer myself - but I also can't get YIM 4.1....... to connect. I suspect you're right - either they don't allow older versions below the version 5 locustfurnace suggested, or - it's detecting remnants of the newest one. I was stupid enough to upgrade. I'm on a Win98SE system with 128 megs and the new version bogs down so much my typing surpasses what shows on screen. It's no better than walkie-talkie communications at that rate. ; )

Oh well, I'll check back to see if anyone ever gets an older version to work nowadays. I'm partial to 4.1 myself.

-D

rodb2000

yeah I got totally burnt by installing Y!IM 6.x uninstalling it and then trying 5.0 ... no connection .. I'll try the 5.6 link here (hope it's legit)

Dano

FWIW... an update...

I finally got a response from the Yahoo IM folks. It seems that once THEIR system recognizes that you've upgraded you are stuck at that version (the upgrade). At least in that it applies to the version 6. So, it seems that any of us who had tried 6 and thought it sucked out loud are stuck - even purging our own systems wouldn't help - unless you want to create a new account/name - but that would dump your list of friends, etc.

If that wasn't enough, here's a kicker...

The Yahoo rep said that by about November (this year) they will not be support ANY version below the current one (version 6).

Now, I might not normally believe they could really control that - but I've had a lot of experience using Trillian and now Trillian Pro (so I don't have to use the Yahoo software). But, Yahoo has proven time and again that they're willing to overhaul their system to screw up Trillian users. It happens so often that Trillian users frequently have to go back to the company to get patches/updates to bring Trillian back up to speed with Yahoo. This only works until Yahoo farkles things again to throw Trillian users off.

I guess that's a sign that Trillian is a significant competition (threat?) to them.

So, I suspect that come November when Yahoo bails on previous versions of YIM a lot of us will be deciding if Yahoo is worth staying with for IM.

It'll also make previous version of the software here at this website (oldversion.com) worthless.

I'll bail on Yahoo and go ICQ or something. Varmints.

Hope this helps answer a few mystery questions some folks may have.

-Peace.
    --Dano TheTShirtZone

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Dano+Jul 30 2004, 11:19 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dano @ Jul 30 2004, 11:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>It seems that once THEIR system recognizes that you&#39;ve upgraded you are stuck at that version (the upgrade). ......
    Now, I might not normally believe they could really control that ....[/b]

Sure they can, they code the software. There are two pieces of software used for chat apps, a client; thats the piece you download and run, and the server software; which allows you to conenct to yahoo&#39;s server and send messages. Its very simple to turn on or off a particular client support. For some it is as simple as a single IF statement line of code.
    IF client<=5 &#092;disconnect. &#092;echo "sorry you must update"

Originally posted by Dano+Jul 30 2004, 11:19 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dano @ Jul 30 2004, 11:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> But, Yahoo has proven time and again that they&#39;re willing to overhaul their system to screw up Trillian users. It happens so often that Trillian users frequently have to go back to the company to get patches/updates to bring Trillian back up to speed with Yahoo. This only works until Yahoo farkles things again to throw Trillian users off.

I guess that&#39;s a sign that Trillian is a significant competition (threat?) to them.
    [/b]

Thats really not the issue of Trillian being &#39;competition&#39;. It boils down to Yahoo is paying for the servers YIM connects to, building the whole chat structure and spending money on programmers. When people use trillian - which should really be FREE by the way, yahoo loses money. Trillian has spent no money into maintaining the YIM servers. Yahoo is footing the bill, and trillian is coming along, coding a program, gaining use of YIM&#39;s server, charging people to use the trillian code and basically profiting off yahoo with a much lower TCO.

If Yahoo sends ADS with each chat message, they earn money this way. Most 3rd party chat programs eliminate the ads. Which is great to the user, bad for the company that makes money on the ads. This is another reason Yahoo/MS/AOL blocks out other clients.

The reason Yahoo, AOL, MSN block out the other clients from using their servers is an issue of money, ofcourse.

<!--QuoteBegin--Dano
    @Jul 30 2004, 11:19 AM
    It&#39;ll also make previous version of the software here at this website (oldversion.com) worthless.[/quote]
    Not true at all. That is not the whole reason this site exists, to host "useable software", that debate on &#39;worthless&#39; software has been covered a few times. Its Historical reasons as well as hosting software that is hard to locate.

<!--QuoteBegin--ABout Oldversion.com@ http://www.oldversion.com/aboutov.php

Lastly, there is a need to archive cultural artifacts. If software is allowed to disappear into the past, a piece of our history will be lost. People must be have access to this data in order to understand the direction the computer industry and civilization as a whole is heading.
    [/quote]

Dano

Fine - you made fine points.

Don&#39;t get all bent out of shape by what I said. Nobody was debating the useful nature of this site. I think there&#39;s nothing wrong with the historical nature of this site as well - but I think a substantial amount of visitors wanting to know about software use for themselves isn&#39;t for historical reasons - they want to know why it didn&#39;t work (or won&#39;t work) on their system.

Perhaps I could have chosen a few words more carefuly - especially because I don&#39;t want to invalidate how helpful and yes - historically important - this site is. But - relax... not everyone comments with the idea in mind that someone is going to disect each sentence they type. I was "speaking" more casually - as if talking to buddies about a problem with one version of software - not commenting on financial logistics of a company or the validity of an entire website.

I think you need to come to Nacho Mamma&#39;s (great mexican food) and have a few beers with me while we talk about the good ol&#39; days of ICQ and DOS 6.2 : )

-Dano who stands corrected.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Dano@Aug 5 2004, 08:43 AM
    Don&#39;t get all bent out of shape by what I said. ....
    but I think a substantial amount of visitors wanting to know about software use for themselves isn&#39;t for historical reasons - they want to know why it didn&#39;t work (or won&#39;t work) on their system.

Perhaps I could have chosen a few words more carefuly - especially because I don&#39;t want to invalidate how helpful and yes - historically important - this site is. But - relax... not everyone comments with the idea in mind that someone is going to disect each sentence they type.
    I was not getting &#39;bent out of shape&#39;, don&#39;t worry, I was just making a clear statement on why chat clients do not connect. Nothing to get bent out of shape over.
    I think the statement i made also does cover the "why the client does not connect." That is the simple fact. nothing technical about it, or a way around it. If the servers block you, they block you.
    This is why all 3rd party clients are always updating - to keep up with the changes to the server.