Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

win98se_user

hi,

i got a slow ass computer and i need to know what version woulds be good on a machine that has 38 megs of ram. the versions i plan to get would be:

if any of these are good on 38 megs od ram plz reply. thx

38 megs?????????????

Man,what is it a 80's machene (uugghh)

I would say get the OLDEST version of AIM you can,perhaps one for Widows 3.1,i dunno..........

Thats even less megs than my commie has (38 911 bytes) so a little over 38 megs.......

IS it a commie your using my friend??????

The Dude

win98se_user

no its a parkard bell. i got that in 1994. it origally had 8 megs and ran on windows 95.

dude, i think you might want to learn more about computers since in the 80s there was only kb's of memory on computers(i got a old 80s laptop that has 650k meg)

but i plan to upgrade it to 72mb once i can find the time to do that.

but i think i had 5.2 on there once b4 and it was slow. so i guess 4.7 or 4.8 is my best guess.

but no my computer is not that old that it had win 3.1

you should take the time to learn the computer dude

Super Moderator

Just use 'easy message', or a replacement for AOL.
    If you want more memory for apps, switch back to Win95, as it has less requirements for RAM than 98 does.
    You could try changing the computer role to 'etwork Server', this should give more RAM to applications.
    Also, try using a fixed size swapfile, dont let windows manage it, as it is terrible, use 2 and 1/2 times the amount of RAM installed. I would set a swap file to 100megs Min/Max.
    Reduce the number of fonts installed to reduce the amount of GDI resources being gobbled, 64 fonts equals 1% GDI.
    Install another hard drive, run the temp, tmp, Internet Temp File and swapfile on the other hard drive, this can speed up your system as well.
    Remove any unnecessary startup apps, such as Real Audio, Quicktime launcher...etc.

thx for the help but i already use ez message and i got tons of ppl asking who i am. 95 is really horrible,reason y i upgraded to 98. but i think i will try 4.7 and give that a try.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Guest@Jun 1 2004, 01:37 PM
    thx for the help but i already use ez message and i got tons of ppl asking who i am. 95 is really horrible
    Did you look through the List Of Alternative Chat Clients for a replacement for AOL?

4.7 is your best bet for that one m8 and definitely stick with 98 that old 95 was no good when it was at its best