Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Originally posted by LucyBelle+Oct 25 2004, 01:58 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (LucyBelle @ Oct 25 2004, 01:58 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I did not close explorer or systray, can you tell me the reason for not closing these 2 items, what happens if I do?[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin--ProcessLibrary.com

Process File: systray or systray.exe
    Process Name: Microsoft System Tray Services
    Description: systray.exe is a background process which displays information such as date and time. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Process File: explorer.exe
    Process Name: Program Manager
    Description: explorer.exe is the Windows Program Manager or Windows Explorer. It manages the Windows Graphical Shell including the Start menu, taskbar, desktop, and File Manager. By removing this process the graphical interface for Windows will disappear.
    [/quote]

LucyBelle

I found this previous post:

No. The explorer refered to in the Close Program box is the task bar explorer. When you End Task it closes the task bar but re-opens it a few seconds later. This ends up closing the program boxes you had open on the task bar. A fast way to close everything.

I&#39;m a bit confused as to whether I should end task of explorer and sys tray after reading the previous post and reading the above post from a previous topic?

Maybe I did not express myself clearly enough, all I wish to know is whether it is safe to:

end task of explorer and sys tray in the close program box

as some web sites say yes and some say no&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Super Moderator

Closing the Windows Explorer in the task tray does nothing but restarts Explorer (the GUI shell). This is a programmers trick for making changes to widgets and programs which change after restarting the GUI.
    It is safe to close it, as it will respawn instantly.
    I use this trick whenever i want to free up memory from programs which i am no longer using and are stuck hogging up space in the registers.
    As for closing the sys tray, there is no reason to, nor for running scandisk do you need to close Explorer.

They can not be closed like programs which appear in the task manager. There is no purpose to bother trying it if you plan to just run scandisk.

The answer is, Yes you can close Explorer, but for the purpose of running scandisk, there is no point in doing so. As it will just restart instantly.
    and No, you can not shut them down like you would do with normal programs.

lucybelle (martianjoe clone) now ya neednt ask anymore, praps this time yall understand

LucyBelle

So I will still keep receiving the message

Scandisk has restarted 10 times etc etc

if I do

end task

of Explorer and Systray

in the close program box?

Super Moderator

This is clearly answered. The format of your last message makes it appear that your just beating a dead horse.
    Since this question has been answered twice. To the same extent, this thread is now being closed, as was the last thread on this subject for the same exact reason.

Its also interesting that the OP on the other thread has the same EXACT problem, the 10 times....and the username is similar. Since this thread is being closed, I have decided to merge both threads.