Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Marty

Am running windows 98SE and when I run ScanDisk to scan in the normal mode, I receive the following message:

"ScanDisk has restarted 10 times because Windows or another program has been writing to this drive. Quitting some running programs may enable ScanDisk to finish sooner. Do you want to continue receiving this warning?"

I have deleted items from the CLOSE PROGRAM box (except Explorer and Systray), however, this has made no difference and I am still unable to run ScanDisk.

Can someone help please, thanks?

You could also perform the ScanDisk in DOS mode.

Click START
    Click SHUT DOWN
    Click RESTART IN MS DOS MODE
    Click OK

After the computer Restarts in MS Dos mode you'll see this prompt:

C:\Windows>

Type in scandisk and press [ENTER]

If you click OK to the SURFACE SCAN then a THOROUGH SCAN will be preformed.

After scan is performed, ReStart your computer in Windows mode.

Marty

Thanks Pun for your reply, have tried ScanDisk in Safe Mode, and works, however I do not want to have to go into Safe Mode each time I need to SanDisk?

Super Moderator

What Pun is saying is to do, it is NOT 'SAFE MODE', this is exiting MS Windows and starting in DOS. Once you load DOS, type at the C:> scandisk, then once it finishes, just type win to continue with your windows session. This does not require rebooting the computer at all.
    Safe Mode is booting into MS Windows with limited drivers, and support libraries loaded.

Why won't scandisk run properly, most likely it is due to something you are no seeing in the task manager (not all apps will show up), which leads me to believe you may have spyware on your system.

Marty

How do I find out /where do I need to go if I have Spyware installed on my pc?

Originally posted by Marty@Aug 1 2004, 01:56 AM
    Ask the experts:
    http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/

If you're not familiar with Ad-Aware, start in the "Newbies" section.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Marty@Aug 1 2004, 01:56 AM
    You can check the posting on Oldversion.com for spyware removing apps
    Adware, Spyware & Content Filtering, Listing of Links

There are also a few threads on the subject.

Marty

I downloaded a free trial of Spy Doctor, however, if I want to delete the infections I have to purchase a full version for this to be done, does anyone know of any software that you can download that does a free scan for infections and also deletes the infections without having to purchase the full version (until such time I am able to purchase a full version) also I am unable to disk defragment, when I do defrag my pc is telling me it is defragging, but when I click on the "show details" nothing is happening, just a white blank screen, any advice on this problem also?

Originally posted by Marty@Aug 2 2004, 01:22 AM
    does anyone know of any software that you can download that does a free scan for infections and also deletes the infections without having to purchase the full version
    These 2 are free ad/spy ware tools. They have been recommended many times on OV. Please use the search feature in the future.

Ad Aware 6 Standard Edition

Spybot S&D 1.3

I am unable to disk defragment, when I do defrag my pc is telling me it is defragging, but when I click on the "show details" nothing is happening, just a white blank screen, any advice on this problem also?
    You'll find defrag advice and other free defrag programs by doing a Search for defrag

Marty

I've read those replies etc re defrag, however I can't seem to find an answer to my problem, if I want to defrag in safe mode, how do I do that?