Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Annabelle

I am running Windows 98SE and am having problems running Scandisk, after 10 attempts to run Scandisk I receive the following message:

"ScanDisk has restarted 10 times because Windows or another program has been writing to this drive. Quitting some running programs may enable Scandisk to finish sooner. Do you want to continue receiving this message?"

I have checked the Microsoft Bulletin board and found the following webpage to rectifiy the problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;222469

however, I have tried the alternatives applicable to Windows98 as outlined in this bulletin and the problem has not been rectified, any suggestions on how to fix the problem would be appreciated?

(This problem is also affecting disk defragmenter also)

guest_jeff

I've always had the same problem with 98 and ME. Today I was able to sucessfully complete both scandisk and defrag on my ME system by starting in safe mode and unplugging the network cable. I still got the error after 10 restarts but I clicked on "no" to the prompt "do you wish to continue receiving error messages?" after that everything went to completion (but it took all afternoon&#33

havent heard this much in win 98 but it quite common in win me, close all running programs in the system tray usually solves the problem i also found that it is much faster if you do a virus scan first and then disable your av scanner. many users in other forums also find that they work better if your computer has been left idle for a couple hours before running them.

Super Moderator

Just disable ALL background running processes, all you have to do is use the key combo sequence of ctrl+alt+del once, this will bring up the close program dialog box, the only programs needed to have left in the box is explorer and systray, everything you can kill off. Then you can run scandisk.
    Or, go to the Start and Shut Down Computer then Restart in MSDOS, and you will be able to run scandisk from the command line.
    Just reboot into DOS, then you will see the C: prompt, and just type scandisk, if you want to see all the options for running scandisk, you can type scandisk /?, this will display all the possible switches/options for running scandisk.
    You can use the first tip to help run disk defragmentor as well.

also another point worth a mention youe as well off to run the maintenence wizard as theres not much point in running defragmenter without running scandisc first as it will only report that it cannot defragment if there is an error on your drive

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Guest@May 31 2004, 04:55 PM
    run the maintenence wizard as theres not much point in running defragmenter without running scandisc
    I have never used the 'maintanence wizard" myself, after viewing this post, I took another look at it.
    The 'maintanence wizard" is nothing more than a scheduling agent. Which really is nothing one _needs_ to run. Your very capable of running scandisk & disk defragmenter on their own.
    Making use of the 'maintanence wizard" would be alright, if you seriously think there is some reason you need to set up scheduling to take care of these tasks if your not one to remember to run those tools once a month.
    If someone leaves their computers on 24/7, then it would be good to use, or one can set up the task scheduler to handle even more tasks. I would suggest using the task scheduling (mstask.exe), and running the scan registery (scanreg.exe), system file checker (sfc.exe), and ms backup in addition to scandisk & defrag

i am fully aware the wizard is only a scheduling agent ,but when first opened it gives options one of which is perform maintenence now. hence it can be started and left to run through on its own saving the need to start two seperate tasks.

AnnaBelle

When I close programs as suggested by CTL + ALT + DEL, it removes certain icons from my task bar, for example: virus icon, firewall icon, msn messenger icon.......help!

Super Moderator

Yes, this is what you want to do is to remove those running apps. they do not need to run when you plan to do a scandisk. Those apps are causing scandisk to keep resetting.
    Procede as suggested, then once those apps are shutdown, run the scandisk.

Originally posted by AnnaBelle@Jun 2 2004, 05:12 AM
    When I close programs as suggested by CTL + ALT + DEL, it removes certain icons from my task bar, for example: virus icon, firewall icon, msn messenger icon.......help!
    dont panic at the icons disappearing as LF has stated the icons are only there because those programs are running, once you have run scandisc dont worry about getting them back, once you restart your computer those programs that usually run at start up will once again start and the icons will be back as usual, there are some great people here at oldversion and wont tell you bad advice trust them they are a good bunch