Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

WarriorOfLight

I've got PC Tools version 7 (1991), but it doesn't have the old utility "disk compare" that would check a copied diskette against the original using a binary or bit by bit comparison, showing what didn't get copied over sector by sector.
    I believe the version that I used to have with this funtionality was around version 4. Any version from 3 to 6 might be worth trying out to find this utility, as nothing else I have found works the same.

It was originally made by Central Point Software

kbrenn

I also have PCTools ver 7. It has the disk compare command listed under the Disk menu option in the PC DOS Shell. I don't have PCTools installed on my computer, but I have read the manual and it does list Disk Compare as being part of the DOS Shell.

Karl

WarriorOfLight

I know that version 7 has a disk compare, but it isn't as thorough as the old version 4.
    In version 4, if there was a non-dos sector on the diskette (copy protection h34r: ) it would give you the sector reference and then you could use a sector editor in manual mode (such as norton's diskedit) to look at/manipulate it. The version 7 doesn't work the same way, that's why I'm looking for the older one.

Default To WarriorOfLight

Would you mind sharing pc tools version 7, please,
    can you verify that it also contains the utility to encrypt and decrypt files?

Let me know if you need a trade or other software...if you need an exchange..
    thank you.

tmelend199@yahoo.com

thanks
    t