Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Worm

Bob

Anyone have any advice on how to get rid of a worm called VBS.Gaggle.D? I followed instructions on the symantec website, I've run Norton Antivirus, Spybot, Ad-Aware, The Cleaner, Spyware Blaster, and Hijack This. Anything else I could do?

Super Moderator

If the file is in use when your computer loads, then alot of the removing apps can not remove it. So you must load DOS and manually remove the file.
    Do a search for the file on your computer, note the exact location of the file, such as for example
    C:\windows\VBS.Gaggle.D
    reboot computer into DOS, and remove the file that way.

Bob

How do I load DOS and manually remove the file?

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Bob@Jun 10 2004, 10:24 PM
    How do I load DOS and manually remove the file?
    Ahhh. thats a big question. I would have to spend a rather long time teaching you DOS if you do not know how to use it.
    DOS is an operating system. Depending on the OS your using now, I assume Windows. Which version of Windows are you using? This matters. As not all Windows now uses DOS.
    Again, depending on which OS your running now, will change the route at which you can use DOS.
    Windows 9x family can reboot into DOS, or boot up into DOS.
    The NT family would require a DOS bootdisk (floppy), and if your using the NTFS on your NT install, then that complicates things, and might also make it impossible to access the system with a DOS disk.

Otherwise, you would boot into DOS, and traverse to the directory you earlier determined was the folder containing the file you want to remove.
    which can do done with the DOS command 'cd' which stands for 'Change Directory'.
    Then once you were in the directory you would have to change the attributes of the file, turning off the read-only, archive, hidden attributes. with the command
    attrib -r -a -h Name-of-File
    then you would remove the file with the command
    del Name-of-File