Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Pirate

sorry to bother guys, but im in trouble, u know those old games duke nukem 3d, doom, pyro, descent, heretic... well u see i have windows xp and they wont open cuz u know they run under ms dos, so i would like to ask u guys if u know if theres another way to run these games or a side program to like emulate them in a window. My real problem is that they wont even open, so plz tell me, and sorry if i bother with such a post, but u know, i just love those games, kickin some alien ass in duke is the best thing ever.

All for one, and one for all.

Super Moderator

For years people complained that Windows relied on DOS to make it work. And that windows main fault was it needed DOS to work. Now that DOS is gone, people find out how much they could really use good old DOS once more.

There could be another way, but since I do not play video games, I can only think of this way to maybe help you along.
    2 programs you will need, both are completely FREEWARE, which is good.
    • Bochs (Freeware)
      Bochs is capable of running most Operating Systems inside the emulation including Windows® 95, DOS, and Windows® NT 4.
    • FreeDOS (Freeware)
      FreeDOS aims to be a complete, free, 100% MS-DOS compatible operating system.

Bochs is a machine emulator, it will emulate a 'computer.'
    FreeDOS, is a operating system, you will install onto the emulator.

You should be able to install FreeDOS on Bochs, then this will let you play your games.
    If your truely brave, you might be able to get away with installing FreeDOS on to a partition on your system, then you can run FreeDOS as a secondary OS. But for those who dont want to risk messing anything up, there is the emulator route. And once you get the emu set up and running then you should be able to install the games onto the OS.

You will need to have patience and understanding to get it all to work. But it does work fine. The good thing is they are both free.

On the Bochs site, they also already have a disk image containing FREEDOS, so this would speed up your setup time. Just download the bochs app and get the FreeDOS image. and you should be up an running in no time.
    http://bochs.sourceforge.net/diskimages.html <- FreeDOS disk image for Bochs