Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

TroubleNoMore

I have an IBM Aptiva running Windows 95B. So far I've downloaded Kazaa Lite 2.4.3 and Kazaa Lite 2.4.0 (at different times, from olderversion.com) and after installing both, neither one will work upon launch. I tried 2.4.3 first and when I went to launch it it said: Loadlibrary () failed. I figured, "Okay, this one just isn't working for some reason. Maybe it is too new for my Windows 95 OS." Then I downloaded 2.4.0 thinking that since it is an even older version than 2.4.3, it would work. No such luck. After the installation completed and upon launch, it said something like: KLConfigWizard cannot use Shell32.dll from defined pathA. Now THAT one doesn't work! What's up, gurus?? If you answer this and I cannot find the post please consider e-mailing me at MicrodotMuse@aol.com. Thanks!

Super Moderator

Search the forum, as I am sure this question has been dealt with before in one of the many previous threads.

me

you need to get rid of 95. get someone to loan you a copy of 98 se. that is probably what the problem is. the 95 might not have the librarys to work a p2p like that or get the oldest k-lite. it may work. but seriously, get rid of 95.

Administrator

Originally posted by me@Jun 6 2004, 10:01 PM
    you need to get rid of 95. get someone to loan you a copy of 98 se. that is probably what the problem is. the 95 might not have the librarys to work a p2p like that or get the oldest k-lite. it may work. but seriously, get rid of 95.
    not good advice, if you consider following such advice and upgrading your os make sure you check the minimum system requirements for that os and purchase a copy not borrow one, then you will have a legal copy including the licence. or you could have a look at other p2p apps for win 95 http://www.softempire.com/internet-file-sh...download-0.html
    simply me

TroubleNoMore

Thanks for the help and advice, guys. I really appreciate it. Yeah, I know Win 95 sucks, but as one of you said, the old PC I wanted to put Kazaa Lite on doesn't have the minimum system requirements to install Win 98 on. I just bought a new laptop with a Pentium 4 running at 2.8 gigs, 512mb RAM, DVD + - R/RW, and a 120 gig hard drive. Only thing is, I'm half afraid to put KL on it for fear that somewhere in the installation process a virus will worm it's way through. I'm a chicken where this new laptop is concerned - what can I say?......LOL But seriously, thanks again.

Super Moderator

If you make a backup, then you have no fears. No one ever backs up their system, which is simple to do, and no matter what ya end up with or how ya mess up the system, you can be back in biz in seconds after restoring from your backup.
    You got a DVD recorder, you can backup your system and drop it onto that.
    I've been backing up my system for many years, and i have no worrys about virus or anything, since if i would get a problem, in less than a minute I can restore the system back to an error-free state.

Originally posted by locustfurnace@Jun 8 2004, 11:02 PM
    If you make a backup, then you have no fears. No one ever backs up their system, which is simple to do, and no matter what ya end up with or how ya mess up the system, you can be back in biz in seconds after restoring from your backup.
    You got a DVD recorder, you can backup your system and drop it onto that.
    I've been backing up my system for many years, and i have no worrys about virus or anything, since if i would get a problem, in less than a minute I can restore the system back to an error-free state.
    perhaps a mediocre task to a person so computer wise as yourself, for those of us who have not this ability could you instruct us how to do this as well as how to use the back up if needed alternatively could you provide us with a link that we could learn this from, i can install windows from the master disc ie a fresh install but have no idea how to create a backup of a working system that hasnt got a master disc , this would be an extremely valuable thread if it carried this advice. thanks up front if this is possible

Super Moderator

Backingup has been discussed before on the forum. There are many threads with tips and links for software. I really cant tell you what to use or how to use the software, as i personally only use 1 program to backup any OS i run. It is a bootable LiveCD, which contains an OS, and the necessary backup software, but the draw back is that the OS on the CD is Linux. If you don't know, then its too hard to instruct how to use.
    So the next option is to try some of the Freeware/shareware apps.
    And some of the freeware apps are DOS based, again, if your not familar with DOS then your not going to have an easy time backing up.
    Then that only leaves the Windows based tools. Which for the most part are shareware apps. which would end up costing you alittle money. The money spend, it is well worth it though. Plus with the retail apps, they can be sometimes easier for the non-tecnical person to use, as they do offer technical support to guide you while using their product. There is some benefits at times to purchasing a good software title.

Figure that if you reinstall your OS, make the adjustments necessary, add all the email contact information, address book info, finding your favorite apps then installing them, adding your bookmarks, tuning your system back the way you like it, removing those unecessary apps, installing the updates.
    This takes a long time. hours or longer.
    Investing in a good backup, partition cloning title is worth every penny. If the software can restore you back to the point your prefer in mere seconds. its definitely well worth the cost.
    Then you can backup and restore your system without worrys of a virus attacking your system, or installing software that does not work. Since you can quickly recover from your backup.
    Years ago. the only way to backup was by backing up the system files within the OS. and if the computer and OS crashed and could not be loaded, you had to reinstall the OS, which took an hour or longer, then you ran the backup's recovery software once the OS was installed, again, would take hours.
    Today, the use of partition cloning and recovery has really improved backing up your OS. Since the OS and software gets copied. Recovery is simple (for the most part).

On these links, are many options, form freeware titles, to shareware and retail apps. The 2 retail apps which might be well worth investing in are
    "Paragons Drive Backup" which would cost you around $50 USD.
    "Copy Commander" is about $35 USD.
    "PowerQuest Drive Copy 4.0" price ranges from one store to the next, could be as cheap as $15 too.

But if you want to learn, and have the time an ability to read and follow directions well. you could try one of the freeware apps, which works as good. but require more computer understanding. You can find an assortment across the links below.

http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...=2163&hl=backup
    http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...&st=0#entry7258
    http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...t=1385&hl=ghost