Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Zone Alarm

Nowhere Man

greetings,

i just got yelled at on another forum because i am still using ver 2.6.88
    it works great on my system (win98se) but the splash screen can't be disabled as far as i can tell. does anybody know of a registry edit that will help? i was prompted to DL the latest ver, 5.0? or 4.5?

i've been staying away from later versions b/c 2.6.88 works great and i have heard that for ver 3.0+ was not very good. however they said that later version are great.

any comments?

tia

Super Moderator

Disabling the splash screen most likey wont be a regsitry entry you can modify, it would be coded into the app.
    The reason why you maybe should not run older ZA, is it could have had a possible exploit discovered that could leave your system open. This is generally found and fixed in newer releases. That may be why someone was yelling at you not to use it.
    Check on the ZA website and read through their changelog; if they publish it on the site, to see if and what security fixes have been changed from your version to the current, or another version someone recommends using.
    If the only fixes where cosmetic, then keep what your using. If the fixes where major security holes discovered then consider upgrading. Since it would be pointless to run a firewall with a known exploit, you might as well not be running one.

Speaking of ZA. Is there anyone else having problems with version 5? more specifically running it on a windows 2000 server that is hosting a web page. It seems when I turn it on, users can not view the web page. When I turn it off though, users are able to view the web page. I did not have this problem with previous versions. :huh:

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Guest@Jun 15 2004, 06:18 PM
    It seems when I turn it on, users can not view the web page. When I turn it off though, users are able to view the web page. I did not have this problem with previous versions. :huh:
    Check the ZA changelog, they may have decide to block port 80, which is typically used for web servers. Check the ruleset, and remove any port 80 blocking, Also, make sure your web server is running on port 80, it may have been changed to another port, some common ports are 8080, 3128, 81 for web servers. but its more common to use 80.

guest_guest

ZA is having MAJOR problems with the new release ver 5.
    4.5 is the recommended version to use. I upgraded to 5 and it messed up my XP computer like nothing else has. Check their forums-- lots of helpful users there.

im using 4.5 pro , and its been messing up my computer , i have windows xp , and its changeing the looks back to windows classic , does anyone have this problem?

Virus

Where can I download version 4.5?

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Virus@Jun 18 2004, 02:21 PM
    Where can I download version 4.5?
    Try this previous thread for ZAP
    http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...&st=0#entry5697