Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

View Poll Results: what will happen to kazaa lite?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1.kazaa lite will die out in the next year.

1 8.33%
  • 2.kazaa lite will never die and always be the #1 p2p program.

4 33.33%
  • 3. The RIAA will sue get a hold of kazaa lite and force it to shut down.

0 0%
  • 4.Users will continue to use kazaalite and it will become stronger than ever.

0 0%
  • 5.kazza will be replaced by another p2p program (example: Winmx, limewire, ares, Morpheous)

3 25.00%
  • 6. Kazaa lite will continue to down fall (give it a year or two and it will become just a legend in History)

4 33.33%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Kazaa Dying?

WarLord

It does not have to be copyrighted files people share.
    On many networx,like ed2k (and I reckon others too) there are also gr8 ppl who share for example tutorials on different subjects like ripping, programming and other things that are gr8 and legal.
    Some write it themselves, too...
    There are also other stuff, for example music which has found its way to the public through P2P and are not copyrighted and the ppl are just glad they can reach others with their thing and thats really whats so nice with P2P; the community...

Dont know if that includes Fasttrack NW though since the more serious ppl who share stuff usually use other NW:s cuz of various reasons..

But you are right : It will die because of how bad the network, like you say is and it wasnt well with centralized servers and stuff.
    That makes users of it more vulnerable.
    Also, many of the trojans are released by corporations in trhe US and you wont find that amount of fakes anywhere else and much of that is also put out by corps.

SoberTillNoon

Nor am I, but they are. They say that they do not condone the use of their product for COPYRIGHTED media.

-W-

Super Moderator

Material thats copyrighted is not an issue, as ALL material is copyrighted by its creator.
    Its the issue of distributing, Most music, software and movies, put out by the big company's do not permit redistribution. this is why it becomes illegal. It is not an issue of 'it is coprighted' and 'not copyrighted'. as it all is. Its how the copyright holders permit their works to be handled.
    The RIAA can only go after people sharing files which is in their catalog of copyright holders who pay the RIAA to protect their copyrights. If you created a song, you own the copyright, If you wish to submit your songs to be protected by the rules of the RIAA, you can too, just like the big name acts.
    As for the intention of the p2p network, its was not designed for its current abuse, and i mean abuse. If you say that p2p is only for sharing the illegal materials (copyrighted works which prohibit redistribution) then the internet itself is a vehicle for which p2p is layered ontop of, so then the Internet itself is illegal?
    As stated, its not the sole purpose, although this blackend mark on p2p is the only thing the media focus on. BitTorrent is a p2p app, but its main useage is for downloading large files, which is highly regarded under the Free Software & OpenSource movement as a way to distribute the large ISO images of the FREE and FREELY distributed Operating Systems, such as Darwin, GNU/LINUX, *BSD's. As it helps lower server demand.

Photocopiers once were viewed for their potential to copy copyrighted novels, books, misc print which forbided such actions. No longer do people have to write out in longhand a section in a book, they could copy the whole book in minutes. Did this mean that anyone using a photocopier was doing illegal activities? I am sure there were some, but for the most part, the photocopier was used for copying original works by the creators.

The bottom line is, P2P (currently) is not illegal. Its the trading of copyrighted works which prohibit coping and distributing without prior consent of the author, that is in the highlight reels today, But those who are using it for transfer large projects between clients on their lan, which could be very well used in motion picture animation projects, to distributed anti-virus upgrading, or sharing large software projects go unnoticed in the news, as does all the positive sides of things in life.

WarLord

locustfurnace:

Material thats copyrighted is not an issue, as ALL material is copyrighted by its creator.
    I dont understand how you mean by that.

If I for example write a tutorial or something and puts that up on eMule , surely it cant be copyrighted...
    Who is it that says it is copyrighted, if I, who wrote it says it has no copyright and the only thing I ask for is that ppl share it and learn something from it..?
    Hopefully learns to share too..

I was kinda wondering and looked on the web for "What is copyright..?" and found this page http://www.whatiscopyright.org and it says:

Code:
    Copyright is a protection that covers published and unpublished literary, scientific and artistic works, whatever the form of expression, provided such works are fixed in a tangible or material form. 
    This means that if you can see it, hear it and/or touch it - it may be protected. If it is an essay, if it is a play, if it is a song, if it is a funky original dance move, if it is a photograph, HTML coding or a computer graphic that can be set on paper, recorded on tape or saved to a hard drive, it may be protected.
    It may be but my example-tutorial hasnt got such protection...
    In my opinion it has gone too far when mostly anything can be copyrighted like "funky original dance move"....
    It wont be long until some1 says a funny joke or something and another one comes around saying that the joke was Copyrighted, and M$ receives patent for doubleclick. :lol:
    The last example actually happened.... ( http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/04/06/02/22222...&tid=187&tid=99 )
    Its scary really....

Cheerz locustfurnace, Im a new member here...

Super Moderator

Originally posted by WarLord+--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WarLord)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I dont understand how you mean by that.
    If I for example write a tutorial or something and puts that up on eMule , surely it cant be copyrighted...[/b]

Originally posted by http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#wci@

WHO CAN CLAIM COPYRIGHT

Copyright protection subsists from the time the work is created in fixed form. The copyright in the work of authorship immediately becomes the property of the author who created the work. Only the author or those deriving their rights through the author can rightfully claim copyright.

WHAT WORKS ARE PROTECTED?

Copyright protects "original works of authorship" that are fixed in a tangible form of expression. The fixation need not be directly perceptible so long as it may be communicated with the aid of a machine or device.

HOW TO SECURE A COPYRIGHT

Copyright Secured Automatically upon Creation

The way in which copyright protection is secured is frequently misunderstood. No publication or registration or other action in the Copyright Office is required to secure copyright.

Copyright is secured automatically when the work is created, and a work is "created" when it is fixed in a copy or phonorecord for the first time. "Copies" are material objects from which a work can be read or visually perceived either directly or with the aid of a machine or device, such as books, manuscripts, sheet music, film, videotape, or microfilm. "Phonorecords" are material objects embodying fixations of sounds (excluding, by statutory definition, motion picture soundtracks), such as cassette tapes, CDs, or LPs. Thus, for example, a song (the "work") can be fixed in sheet music (" copies") or in phonograph disks (" phonorecords"), or both.

HOW LONG COPYRIGHT PROTECTION ENDURES

Originally Created on or after January 1, 1978

A work that is created (fixed in tangible form for the first time) on or after January 1, 1978, is automatically protected from the moment of its creation and is ordinarily given a term enduring for the author&#39;s life plus an additional 70 years after the author&#39;s death. In the case of "a joint work prepared by two or more authors who did not work for hire," the term lasts for 70 years after the last surviving author&#39;s death. For works made for hire, and for anonymous and pseudonymous works (unless the author&#39;s identity is revealed in Copyright Office records), the duration of copyright will be 95 years from publication or 120 years from creation, whichever is shorter.
    <!--QuoteBegin--http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#102

Copyright Law of the United States of America and Related Laws Contained in Title 17 of the United States Code

§ 102. Subject matter of copyright: In general26

(a) Copyright protection subsists, in accordance with this title, in original works of authorship fixed in any tangible medium of expression, now known or later developed, from which they can be perceived, reproduced, or otherwise communicated, either directly or with the aid of a machine or device. Works of authorship include the following categories:
    • (1) literary works;
      (2) musical works, including any accompanying words;
      (3) dramatic works, including any accompanying music;
      (4) pantomimes and choreographic works;
      (5) pictorial, graphic, and sculptural works;
      (6) motion pictures and other audiovisual works;
      (7) sound recordings; and
      (8) architectural works.

( b ) In no case does copyright protection for an original work of authorship extend to any idea, procedure, process, system, method of operation, concept, principle, or discovery, regardless of the form in which it is described, explained, illustrated, or embodied in such work.
    [/quote]

SoberTillNoon

Man, I am joking.
    One: I am poking fun at Sherman&#39;s phony reason
    Two: it is funny that they say that.

I am in no way saying that is what they really intended. I am jus&#39; messin&#39;. sorry.

-W-

WarLord

Yeah, it may be but it has not nessecarily be copyrighted..
    I saw that page too but since it was only bout US-laws I figured the other was more generally speaking bout what copyright is.
    Dont know bout the States but where I come from , not all things people create are under copyright-protection..

P2P is like ya say not illegal and never should be since its a way to communicate and spread information and I think those greedy corporations and politicians should realize that we are living in different times now with the internet and stuff and they have to realize and adjust to that cuz otherwise , those ppl also is going down..

Info wants to be free...

Anyways, its getting kinda off-topic maybe so lets just say that Kazaa (with their network and that Kazaa Lite) is going down and they have themselves to blame..

Stay c00l &#33; B)

WL

KazaaLite For Life

What makes me laugh is their program was MADE to break copywrite law. Then they b*tch and moan when a program comes along that is a hack of their own program, then threaten everyone with lawsuits that hosts it? that&#39;s bs&#33; That would be like me suing a car theif for stealing the Jag that I wanted to steal.

WarLord

Thats the bad thing bout Kazaa in the first place, that its copyrighted..

Doesnt matter if its Kazaa Lite cuz its supporting the same sh*t anywayz.. B)

guest_Brian

with all due respect to everyone here, i just don&#39;t know why you are all so high up on kazaa ot kazaa lite anyway. when i try to download anything at all i just get

"Remotely Cued"
    "More Sources Needed"
    "Remotely Cued"
    "More Sources Needed"
    "Remotely Cued"
    "More Sources Needed"
    "Remotely Cued"
    "More Sources Needed"
    "Remotely Cued"
    "More Sources Needed"
    "Remotely Cued"

and the only time i was actually able to download a file at all which is not very often, it turns out to be a virus. i dont care care if kazaa goes. it was useless to me&#33;
    And WinMX was just as useless&#33;

-- Brian