Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Hello,

I was recently forced to restore my computer to factory settings, and prior to that, I had 600 MP3s and a Nero Burning program that was installed for me by BestBuy, along with the Digital Research burning ROM all purchased together. Prior to the restoration, I could burn a CD within a matter of minutes. Post-restoration, my CD burner takes 3 hours, to burn 15 songs!!!! Don't know exactly what has happened. I still have my disk for the Nero program, however, it asks for a serial number, which when checking through all the papework I kept, it is not there. I wanted to re-install it, hoping it would cause the RealPlayer 10 to burn quicker. I have checked my settings on RealPlayer, and it is set to burn at the optimal speed allowed. Any help? I am on Windows 98, Compaq Presario 5356, Celeron processor. I know some of the specs are not the best, but I love this machine! Thanx!!!!

I don't have either of those installed so I can't tell you exactly where to look for the Serial number, but if you have a legit copy still installed, it's in your registry.

The following is for Windows 98, other OS may vary:

Start --> Run

Type "Regedit" then click "OK"

Look under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Click the +

then click the + for "Software"

Then click the + for the name of the software company

Explore that area (open sub catagories as needed). Look for entries like "SerialNum", "RegistrationKey", RegKey and the like.

BE VERY CAREFULL NOT TO CHANGE ANYTHING IN THE REGISTRY. If you aren't comfortable exploring the registry, back-up the registry before you start messing around.

In Regedit:...
    Highlight "My Computer"
    Registry --> Export Registry File
    Name it and save to a convienent location.

Ok, thanks for the info? I also needed some answers as to why the RealPlayer may be burning so slowly. I know you stated you don't have any of these installed, but your assistance is appreciated. Thanks!! Will try.

Super Moderator

You will want to enable DMA (Direct Memory Access) for each device (hard drive, CD Recorder), this should improve the speed by a good bit.
    Win98 defaults usually to not enable this feature.

Go to the Control Panel, System Properties, Device Manager, and click on each Disk drive & CDROm installed, then click to display each named device, then click on Properties, then Settings and enable each device to use DMA.
    Also, make sure your telling whatever program your using to record at the maximum speed, some recorders do not pick the max as they sometimes arent aware.

You can also backup the registry simply by coping 2 files from the C:\Windows folder, the 2 files are System.dat & User.dat.

Odd, after re-reading, the comment that it took 3 hours. With a 1x CD Recorder, it would only take about 1hour and 30minutes. My extremely old 2x burner would do it in 40minutes.
    So it's interesting that it would take 3 hours. Which then makes me wonder how much time is spent decoding the files. Do you know the processor speed, you said it is an Intel Celeron. I would guess maybe in the 400+Mhz range?

You also mention 'Digital Research burning ROM,' I am not familar with that program, But i know of the company Digital Research, and another title, called NERO Burning ROM, which is a NERO program. If the product is NERO. i understand the error. but if it is really called Digital Research Burning ROM, I would be interested in this hering more on this product. I have not seen any software from that compnay in a long time, since their DR-DOS.

Also. make sure that the CD's your recording to, support that speed, if they aren't (unlikely today) then remember that the CD Recorder; regardless of its speed, can only burn as fast as what the Media (blank CD) supports.

Thanks Locust, as well. Will try. I have Realplayer to set to copy at it's max. My burner is 48X16X48. Will let you all know how it goes.

Originally posted by locustfurnace@Jun 16 2004, 07:23 PM
    You will want to enable DMA (Direct Memory Access) for each device (hard drive, CD Recorder), this should improve the speed by a good bit.
    Win98 defaults usually to not enable this feature.

Go to the Control Panel, System Properties, Device Manager, and click on each Disk drive & CDROm installed, then click to display each named device, then click on Properties, then Settings and enable each device to use DMA.
    Also, make sure your telling whatever program your using to record at the maximum speed, some recorders do not pick the max as they sometimes arent aware.

You can also backup the registry simply by coping 2 files from the C:\Windows folder, the 2 files are System.dat & User.dat.

Odd, after re-reading, the comment that it took 3 hours. With a 1x CD Recorder, it would only take about 1hour and 30minutes. My extremely old 2x burner would do it in 40minutes.
    So it's interesting that it would take 3 hours. Which then makes me wonder how much time is spent decoding the files. Do you know the processor speed, you said it is an Intel Celeron. I would guess maybe in the 400+Mhz range?

You also mention 'Digital Research burning ROM,' I am not familar with that program, But i know of the company Digital Research, and another title, called NERO Burning ROM, which is a NERO program. If the product is NERO. i understand the error. but if it is really called Digital Research Burning ROM, I would be interested in this hering more on this product. I have not seen any software from that compnay in a long time, since their DR-DOS.

Also. make sure that the CD's your recording to, support that speed, if they aren't (unlikely today) then remember that the CD Recorder; regardless of its speed, can only burn as fast as what the Media (blank CD) supports.
    Ok, sorry for the last guest post, thought I was signed on. But you are correct, Digital Research makes the burner that was installed into my computer. Nero is the program, that is used with it. The problem with re-loading Nero is it is asking for a serial number.

As for the PC, I am not near the PC now, so I can't tell you the speed of the processor, something along the lines you stated, perhaps, but I will be back with that information. Trust me, before I did the full system restore, I could burn a CD, literally, using RealPlayer, I believe 8, within 5 minutes. It did not take an hour or hours. I have yet to try your steps above, a little beat when I got to the hut, but I will this evening. I have always used the 700mb(?) Memorex and have had no problems with those disks.

Thanks for your assistance.