Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Aol

Firstly, this isn't a bash or flame, just a few hints...

America Online is now commonly known as AOL, maybe you should rename it on the site...

Also, AOL v1.0 on the site is incomplete, that appears to be only part of the install, it asks for disk #1, screenshots are avaliable on request...

I also noticed that America Online 4.0 (31.0 MB) appears to be larger than America Online 5.0 (12.6 MB), I found that odd, maybe that is worth looking into why...

Finally, I have AOL v6.0 to v9.0 if anyone is looking for them, or if you need a copy for the site.

Super Moderator

AOL stands for America OnLine, so I do not think the change is necessary.

As for v4.0 being larger than 5.0, this could be due to many things.
    Such as not having optimized graphics in the 4.0 version.
    Changes in the installer program could have produced a different size.
    Optimizing the code, and removing 386 instruction sets during compile time would reduce the version 5.0 filesize over the 4.0 version.
    Switching the compiler to a newer version can produce smaller code.
    Reduction of including certain dll files from the install package that are commonly found on Windows helps.

I still think you should make the change, as AOL is much more common, ie: if you search for America Online, you get a whole list of AOL links and descriptions.

As for v4.0 being larger than 5.0, I assumed what you said already, however I thought someone may know for sure... not just a *wild* guess...

Super Moderator

Unless AOL issues change-logs, or someone likes AOL enough to do binary comparison. The wild guess is most likley accurate or close enough.

Also. if America Online changed their name, the 'old' versions would still retain the older name, right? Changing the name to the more modern one might confuse people looking for that old named version.