Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Peter Gibbons

Does anyone know of a website or a personal web page that has a link to a free download from microsoft PPC 2003 for my Dell Axim X5 PDA\? I thought that something would be flaoting around the web, but i have unfortunately not been able to locate it. It was a free download from dell's website before 12/31/2003, but now the cost is around $30. Any suggestions or leads are greatly appreaciated!!

Super Moderator

You need to explain alittle more, not everyone will be familiar with what you are asking, this is why there is a pinned topic, titled Howto Request an App. Its a guideline to follow when asking for software. Fill in as much info as possible

If you are asking for the recovery system, that would not be legal to host, since it would contain a full version of MS Windows. As there is no certain explanation to what the PPC2003 is your asking for. You need to add more details. To me, PPC stands for PowerPC, which is no way related to MS.
    Maybe, I'm going to guess, do you mean VPC? for Virtual PC?
    Search the forum, VPC has been requested in the past.
    It was only recently a MS product line they have purchased.

LF ppc meaning pocket pc requestee check this out http://www.download.com/3302-2178_4-3147251.html

Originally posted by Peter Gibbons Unregistered@ Jun 22 2004, 04:28 PM
    Does anyone know of a website or a personal web page that has a link to a free download from microsoft
    A free download of what ?:
    Operating System (Microsoft isnt known for such generosity)
    Upgrade (possible, but still unlikely)
    Patch (more than likely)
    Application (please clarify, re:how to request, which one/version)

If you bought a device with an preinstalled ,or bundled which is not the same as free, operating system that had some guarantee of free upgrade you should contact your supplier even if it is no longer offered on their website.

Flynn Arrowstarr

The original poster is referring to an operating system upgrade originally offered for free by Dell. It updates a Dell Axim X5 PocketPC from the PocketPC 2002 to the PocketPC 2003 operating system. The poster is correct that Dell originally offered the upgrade for free, then started charging for it at the end of last year. The upgrade availability ended April 30, 2004.

Unless Dell decides to release it as freeware, it's doubtful it would be legal to post it at a website for mass distribution. As for getting an update directly from Microsoft, that would not be possible. Microsoft licenses the base Windows CE operating system to the hardware manufacturers. MS leaves any upgrades up to the OEMs since most will brand the OS with their own unique features, software, and hardware. If you tried to update an OEM version of CE with a generic it would (at the very least) cause things to not work right. Worse case scenario would be you're left with a $200 - $600 paperweight...

Flynn

Flynn Arrowstarr

Hi, just wanted to post a correction to my post above. Apparently Dell is still offering the update for the Axim X5. The cost is $29. So, posting it anywhere on the web for free would definately be illegal.

(and we all know no one would do illegal things on the web, right? )

Flynn

Originally posted by Flynn Arrowstarr Unregistered+Jun 24 2004, 05:08 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Flynn Arrowstarr Unregistered @ Jun 24 2004, 05:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>The original poster is referring to an operating system upgrade originally offered for free by Dell. It updates a Dell Axim X5 PocketPC from the PocketPC 2002 to the PocketPC 2003 operating system. The poster is correct that Dell originally offered the upgrade for free, then started charging for it at the end of last year.[/b]
    That sounds interesting Dell supplying a free downloadable upgrade to newer operating system from microsoft&#33; Was this freely available to anyone? What were the terms for downloading & installing it? the "original poster" never mentioned "PocketPC 2002" <!--QuoteBegin--Flynn Arrowstarr Unregistered@Jun 24 2004, 05:44 PM
    Hi, just wanted to post a correction to my post above. Apparently Dell is still offering the update for the Axim X5. The cost is &#036;29. So, posting it anywhere on the web for free would definately be illegal.[/quote]Is it the same update as requested ,I would hope you get something extra if you now have to pay.
    &#036;29 dollars maybe cheap insurance against hazardous or illegal activity.
    O.V.com and many sites offer software versions that were free to use,but no longer distributed from home site, quite legally but usually at users own risk.
    sometimes the legality is left to lawyers & moderators

Anyway I think I maybe recieving a telepatheticmessage that indicates you could goto ROM Update, << also as it is a bug fix no longer coming direct from the software vendors home extra caution is required (remember Flynn&#39;s "Worse case scenario") ,
    if your looking for this
    THIS IS NOT A "PocketPC 2002 to the PocketPC 2003" UPGRADE (which I doubt ever made it into existence as a free download)
    System Utilities: Dell Axim X5 Pocket PC 2003 Update, Utility, Pocket PC, English, Axim X5,
    A02
    File Name:R64365.EXE 29 MB
    Description: Reflash Utility for Axim X5, will update Windows Mobile 2003 ROM image from A04 to A05 only. This ROM update enhances performance of Windows Mobile 2003 on the Axim X5

btw if that link points to ebay those damn voices lie also&#33;

Default Microsoft 2003 for Dell x5

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gibbons
    Does anyone know of a website or a personal web page that has a link to a free download from microsoft PPC 2003 for my Dell Axim X5 PDA\? I thought that something would be flaoting around the web, but i have unfortunately not been able to locate it. It was a free download from dell's website before 12/31/2003, but now the cost is around $30. Any suggestions or leads are greatly appreaciated!!
    Hi go to ebay . you can find for 3-4 $ if you already found free please let me know where. I want it as well. Hanna

Posting links to the now defunct rom update only seem to hasten their removal however if you use a search engine with the file name I posted above you could find it .
    It would mean looking through a number of results to find what your after but if you value your time @>27.6c/hour its probably cheaper than eb*y or putting up with a buggy version.

Default download

I need to download the hadware for dell axim 2003