Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AOL

Mystical Gaara

Ok i have AOL 9 but this ver sucks to much memory, like i only have 128MB RAM, and when i use AOL 9 it makes my PC kinda slow...

I want a version that loads quick and doesnt suck so much memory or resources...
    wich version is for me??

Super Moderator

Similar question asked alreday in this thread; http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...t=ST&f=2&t=2373
    also, search the forum for all the AOL threads, your question might have already been answered. Try using the search feature.
    128Megs of ram should be enough, try disabling some of the startup apps you do not need. Such as if you have, Quicktime, RealPlayer, Winamp Tray....

Mystical Gaara

I had seen that topic and was looking for it but coudnt find it, i kept getting errors on the search engine thing, but my question was answered, thank you

Mystical Gaara

Crap, i need help...ok i downloaded and installed AOL 4.0, damn it loads quick and it doesnt suck my PC memory like 9.0 but there is just one little problem, it wont let me surf the web, yeah if i click on IE or FireFox or even AOL 4.0 it self to surf, it sez page cannot be found......
    AOL 4 connect to the internet but it wont let me surf? how i fix this?

pgmark

I use both AOL 5.0 and 9.0. I prefer to use 5.0 because it loads faster and also I find that 9.0 causes my computer to freeze up on shut down. I also have 128 MB. While I do prefer 5.0, I have noticed 2 problems with it. First, any graphics in emails will not load. Second, if I click on any of the stories that appear on the welcome screen, they will not load. Ever. It allows me to surf to other sites with the AOL browser, and of course with IE or Netscape.

Mystical Gaara

Well, i tryed 5.0 just now......it connects and all, but it wont let me surf at all.

guess ill stay with 9.0, it works fine, its just that uses to much memory... *sigh*

AND YES i have everything disabled like auto start etc etc.

Mystical Gaara

Ok, i installed 6.0....it works fine, but i cannot disable the dial tone, grrrrr i was able to with 4/5.0 wassup with 6.0?

Ya know..that dial tone is does when connecting...

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Mystical Gaara@Jun 24 2004, 08:23 AM
    Ok, i installed 6.0....it works fine, but i cannot disable the dial tone, grrrrr i was able to with 4/5.0 wassup with 6.0?

Ya know..that dial tone is does when connecting...
    Try disabling the sound in the modems propertys under the Control panel.

Ssppaazzmonkey

I have AOL 9. Whenever i try to run IE or IRC or the like, they never work. is there a way I can make them work?

guest_sportsluvr2

Can you use AOL 5.0 on a XP Pro system?? If not where can I get AOL 7?

Someone at AOL said the minimum required for XP Pro is AOL 7.0 (I definitely won't use AOL 8 or AOL 9 since their too "jazzed up").
    Thanks in advance for your help! :)