Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AOL

samuella

get aol 7.0

it loads a lot faster than 9.0 and it's not so old that it is completely unworking.

Release Candiate 1

If you per chance have or can get a hold an AOL CD:

INSTALL THE AOL VERSION OF YOUR CHOICE FROM AN AOL CD
    THE CD will contain at least four versions of AOL

Put the disk in you CD or DVD Drive and Hold the “Shift” Key down.
    This should open the disc’s directory in Windows Explorer. If the
    Autostart program loads despite these efforts click “Cancel” and
    “yes” when prompted to exit the install program. Either open
    Windows Explorer or My Computer and select AOL CD-Rom which
    Will contain different AOL versions, if you do not see them, they are
    Hidden.

In Win 98SE, Choose View—Folder Options-View and check
    “Show all files under Hidden Files, Click OK.

IN Win 2000, Me and XP, select Tools-Folders-Folder Options
    View, check “Show hidden files and folders” under “Hidden Files” and click OK.

Then to install a version of AOL, find its folder and double click on the setup
    Program incon in that folder. THE CD will contain at least four versions of AOL..

guest_jessica

I too have 128 RAM. I have 9.0, it runs ok, but a lot faster than it has in the past. I had 8.0 Plus at one time and it was fast. I think I might get it again cos everytime I shut down my computer I get this annoying AOLDial.exe saying I need to end it before I shut down. And it was never open/used cos I have DSL. And I tried searching for it. And its no where to be found on my computer. Only thing I like about 9.0 is the screen name colors and how you can change it to different fonts.

thiefsieb

Alright. I know a lot of you out there get angry over post after post of the same questions. So I would like to help out some people with ?'s about AOL. So, this is for questions about which version is best for you, network problems, and any other related issues with any version of AOL. So please post questions and answers.

-ThiefsieB

im not sure this is really necessary ? if people followed the forum guidelines then there would already be a one for all aol thread, there are new questions regarding certain programs regularly and they do not get added to an existing thread mainly due to people not bothering to search the forum before posting. the reason LOCUSTFURNACE has to regularly move topics and link them to an existing one. this thread i believe will be no different,a great idea though all the same and would be good if people searched before posting but for the most part they just dont bother.

Super Moderator

If this were an AOL software forum, then I could see a reason for separate threads per questions, but this site is not. By keeping all questions relating to a title in a single thread makes it easier in the long run for people trying to find an answer. Since some loose threads may contain the answer one seeks, just improperly posted.

Starting new threads, when ones already exist, does not help and just shows that you don't understand the forum. If you want to help. great, but help those existing questions in existing threads.

Besides, there are not many threads dealing with AOL Online Software any longer, since I've merged them all together a long time ago.

sum1

come on kids...
    different versions of AOL do different things - however, as far as i know, they all support tcp/ip - in other words they all let you connect to AOL via any isp you may be using...
    funny thing is, not all of them support winsocks (that's what you need to be able to use a browser, IRC, AIM, etc; any other program that can go online but isn't actually built into AOL itself)
    when all else fails, read the directions

Super Moderator

TCP/IP is a network protocol, meaning that it is at layers 3 through 4 in the OSI model.
    Winsock is an API that lets a Windows program send data over any network transport protocol.

Mitchell

I DLed AOL 5.0 and now when I try to set it up on Windows XP it says its not a valid Win32 application so if there is any way around this I would greatly appreciate any help because I don't have access to a Disk and I am currently running off Netzero which is really crappy

guest_jessica

Not sure which forum to use for my problem. I just got a new computer for christmas and I am already logged on to AIM/MSN messengers then let's say I want to check my email on America Online or disconnect from it. I log on and it automaticaly disconnects and reconnects me to AIM/MSN Messengers. I checked both MSN and Windows and AIM none of the options are checked to start up automatically. It shouldn't do this cos it doesnt on my old computer or anyones elses computer I use.