Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Release Candiate 2

Program Name: XP Service Pack
    Current version: 1.a
    Desired versions: 1.0
    Description: Bug Fixes for XP Operating System

Does anyone know of any download locations for the 1.0 version which included Microsoft Java machine. I have downloaded SP1 1.a twice from MS and they have both been corrupted! Lucky I have a fast connection.
    I am reinstalling XP for my nephew and want to patch it before returning the PC to them!

Thanks.

Other than the MS Java VM missing (which I wouldn't consider a corruption), how are they corrupted?

Super Moderator

You can this link; untested.

Couple more backup links

Release Candiate 2

Originally posted by Guest@Jul 2 2004, 03:32 PM
    Other than the MS Java VM missing (which I wouldn't consider a corruption), how are they corrupted?
    Whilst the files was being uncompressed the error message was that file is corrupted and download again. It would be nice in MS had MD5 checksums with their large downloads. Lucky I didn't try the XP SP2 RC2 links!!!

Thanks Locustfurnace for the links.

Beta

Originally posted by Tomb@Jul 3 2004, 09:57 AM
    Lucky I didn't try the XP SP2 RC2

I agree. I downloaded SP2 RC2 and installed it to my laptop PC. After a couple of hours I uninstalled it.
    This service patch seems to be directed at total computer illiterates. Firstly my laptop which usually flies with 1GHz RAM and a mobile P4 processor, turned to sludge. Persistent nagging to check firewalls and AV were so obtrusive to become infuriating. The new wireless networking wizard I found to be absolutely pathetic.
    I have now un-installed this update and have gone back to just SP1 and the blaster and sasser patches.

mrspayne797

Please help. I had an old AST Adventure 410 given to me. Its in excellent condition but I need somekind of software to recover or reformat the harddrive. Plus, any info on this machine would be very helpful.
    Also, Im looking for a download of Win XP Home. If anyone can help. Id truly appreciate it. Thank <_< <_< <_< <_<

Super Moderator

Originally posted by mrspayne797+Jul 7 2004, 11:41 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mrspayne797 @ Jul 7 2004, 11:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Also, Im looking for a download of Win XP Home. If anyone can help. Id truly appreciate it. Thank [/b]

Originally posted by -FAQS@ http://www.oldversion.com/faq.php
    Why do you only have freeware and shareware?
    This is not a "warez" site. We are able to legally distribute only freeware and shareware, since they are free.

<!--QuoteBegin--mrspayne797
    @Jul 7 2004, 11:41 AM
    Please help. I had an old AST Adventure 410 given to me. Its in excellent condition but I need somekind of software to recover or reformat the harddrive. Plus, any info on this machine would be very helpful.[/quote]
    Without knowing the specs of the machine, how would you know if XP could even be installed on it?
    You need to know alittle more about the machine before you can begin to install any OS on it.
    You can reformat the hard drive with a Win9x boot disk, using the command Format C:.
    This only formats the drive, it does nothing else. Formatting is not installing an OS, it is preparing the filesystem for the OS.
    FDISK will partition the hard drive.
    Use both if necessary, FDISK then Format the drive, then install the OS.

If you want XP Home for the machine - that is assuming the machine meets the requirements, then purchase a copy of it, look on recycledsoftware.com, or ebay.com
    If you want a FREE OS, try FreeDOS,

I dont want the XP for the AST. I have another PC given to me with XP home on it but it needs to be reinstalled. and I didnt get the cd with my new PC. I just wondered if i could find it so i wouldnt have to buy one for a repair like this, when, in the long run, I may not be able to get the PC up and running at all.

But as far as the suggestions on the formatting, thanks, Ill try that. It would just be much simpler with the software....I always prefer to try doing things the easy way first. Process of elimination, ya know.

OH, and I downloaded AIDA 32 and ran it on the AST. That told me everything about it. Thanks

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Guest+Jul 8 2004, 12:18 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Jul 8 2004, 12:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I just wondered if i could find it so i wouldnt have to buy one for a repair like this, when, in the long run, I may not be able to get the PC up and running at all.[/b]

Alot of PC&#39;s sold from OEM&#39;s such as Compaq, Dell, Gateway..etc. Are no longer including a full version of the OS. They are using modified versions which do system checks to ensure that the copy is ONLY installed on the PC it was designed for. This keeps costs down, and in a small way helps eliminate software piracy.
    BUT, it causes more problems when people need to reinstall the OS. When the recovery CD&#39;s are first built, they include alot of software, to entice the buyer to buying the PC.
    After a while, the user removes unnecessary baggage.
    When they go to reinstall the system sometime later, they are once again, bombarded with all that junk software, which by then is outdated.
    The best way when buying a PC, is to build one yourself, and this ensures you will get FULL &#39;Verion&#39; hardware, and not that skimped OEM hardware. Plus it also ensures you have a full working OS, if your still using Windows, then you now have a full version of the software - but this is not the cheapest way to purchase the software.
    Atleast you then are better equipped when problems arise in the future with the OS, which is a guarantee you will need to reinstall the system; if the OS is Windows.
    Since alot of the solutions to fixing problems on Windows, is to reinstall, which really does not solve the problem, just creates more work.

<!--QuoteBegin--Guest
    @Jul 8 2004, 12:18 AM
    But as far as the suggestions on the formatting, thanks, Ill try that. It would just be much simpler with the software....I always prefer to try doing things the easy way first. Process of elimination, ya know.[/quote]
    It is software, and this is software most reinstallation routines use, you just don&#39;t see it any longer. As it is buried under billards.