Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motherboard

Method

I still havent figured this out..

CM

If you press Control>alt>S it will give you the serial #s for the computer and BOM etc. Not too sure if this is what you are after. Or you can crack open the case and read it off of the chip.

That didnt work soz

I give up, i didnt think it was going to b this hard just 2 find out some lousy computer part

guest_mark

go to "system information" under "system tools"(which is under "accessories")

if you cant read, then you will not see it listed there

Method

Originally posted by guest_mark@Aug 16 2004, 11:42 AM
    go to "system information" under "system tools"(which is under "accessories")

if you cant read, then you will not see it listed there
    Thnx for ur reply!

I see my bios, but not my motherboard Manufacturer

Or am i not looking hard enough?

I have a few suggestions for you. We are going to try and force a halt so you can get the board bios number from the lower left hand corner of your screen.

First when you enter Bios Setup when you first turn your computer on (DEL or ESC) common on a lot of motherboards to enter BIOS.

You should see BIOS FEATURES or ADVANCED BIOS SETUP. Again different manufacturers have different menus.

In the ADVANCED BIOS SETUP set your BOOT SEQUENCE to
    A, C, CD ROM or 1st A, 2nd C:, 3rd CDROM

Set SEEK FLOPPY DRIVE ON BOOT to ENABLE or ON

Exit this screen back to main BIOS menu

Enter STANDARD CMOS SETUP or BASIC CMOS SETUP

in this screen near the bottom you should see a HALT ON
    Set the HALT ON to ALL ERRORS.

Make sure you have the hard drives set to AUTO

Exit this screen back to main BIOS setup

Save settings and exit

Turn off computer and open case

Unplug floppy ribbon and hard drive ribbons from the motherboard.

Unplug keyboard

Turn on your computer.

Now with no floppy and no keyboard these are 2 errors to start. The computer should freeze on the startup as it trys to find the hard drives also missing. This should give you enough time to write down the board BIOS string.

After writing down the motherboard BIOS number shut down, replug in the ribbons in the same spots you pulled them from close up your case, re-plug in your keyboard and turn your computer back on. You might want to re-set STANDARD CMOS and ADVANCED BIOS to default settings now.

Hope this works for you. It has in the past for me.

Super Moderator

I don't feel unplugging the hard drive ribbons is advisable for this person.
    Simply changing the 'halt on all errors', and unplugging the keyboard should suffice.
    If they unplug the ribbons, they might hook them back on incorrectly, swapping the IDE0 with IDE1 and this might cause unneeded panic for the user.
    Opening up the case could void the warranty - if the system is still under one.
    The link i provided to the INTEL site should have supplied enough information to find what is being sought.
    As another user suggested, if they can open the case (if warranty has lapsed) then look on the BIOS chip for the info. The location of the chip should be clearly pointed out in the operators manual for the computer, if one was provided.

Also. since the OP never stated what manufacturer the machine is from, i'll add that if the machine is a Compaq, then a boot floppy/Bootable CD from Compaq maybe necessary, as Compaq works different than alot of other systems. If the MBR or parition0 was cleared for some reason, the necessary information pertaining to the system is inaccessible without reloading it. Will need restored via the proper boot/recovery disk from Compaq to that particular model machine. Compaq's Bios is only accessible if this info was not cleared, you then will press F10 on most Compaq's to enter the BIOS if the info was not removed, or was reinstalled.

guest_guest

Originally posted by method@Aug 5 2004, 01:15 AM
    hey ive been lookin round 4 a site that mite be able 2 help me & this one lookd ok

how can i check what my type and manufacturer my motherboard is? is it like in system info or something? cause i need 2 know if anyone can help me like if theirs an internet test too see or like a programme id be very happy

k thankz alot!!!!

find this program : dmiview10.exe o IDENTIFY_BOARDS.exe

this program identify your mother board, type and manufacturer

sorry I canīt say more . no speak english

adress: http://www.motherboard.cz