Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

El Kabong

Well, it seems i can't go a month with having a computer problem that frustrates the hell out of me. This site always seems to offer good advice so here I am again.

This time it's Real Player and Windows Media Player. When I try to play a video in Real Player, I get this message "Some portions of this file cannot be played. Would you like to check to see if there is an update available for this file?" If I click yes, it plays very slow. If I click no, it plays normally but with no sound. I get this message no matter what file I try to play.

As for Windows Media Player, when I try to play a video or a song or listen to something on the internet (Radio station), first a window pops up thanking me for installing it (Despite the fact I've already installed it), Then I click next and it gives me a list of options, then I click finish and the thank you window pops up again. It's a never ending cycle.

When I re-start the computer RP and WMP both work fine for about a day and then this happens again.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

always a good idea is to include if possible which version numbers you are using and also which OS as well , have you tried the developers sites for FAQ and known issues with the programs, have a look at these cuple links http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...ia/support.aspx http://real.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/real.cfg/...0&p_prod_lvl1=3

El Kabong

Windows XP, Media Player 9.0, Realplayer 10.0

dnix71

www.videohelp.com is an excellent site for your kind of question. If you download Gspot from there(don't get the beta version yet, it's NOT ready) and use it to check the file you're having trouble playing it will tell you if it can be rendered properly and what codecs are being used. If you need better codecs you can get them from the same site. If Gspot crashes when you try to close it after rendering a file, that means there is something about the file that cannot be completely rendered. Sometimes there are partial failures. The Windows Media Player doesn't variable bit rate mp4's very well and a lot of the streaming stuff now is mp4's because they are compact but still pretty good quality.