Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    martianjoe

Just a general query as I haven't been able to locate anything about this topic, if I:

CTL + ALT + DEL

and click on Explorer, will the END TASK box come up for me to delete Explorer automatically like it does with some programs.

No. The explorer refered to in the Close Program box is the task bar explorer. When you End Task it closes the task bar but re-opens it a few seconds later. This ends up closing the program boxes you had open on the task bar. A fast way to close everything.

martianjoe

thanku for your reply, however, i have just found a microsoft bulletin which states not to end task of explorer or systray in the close program box as these are an integral part of the computer system?

I do not want to click on explorer with end task, then find i have deleted the word explorer out of the close program box and cant recover without a hassle?

you will not delete the word EXPLORER from the box you will just as PUNY has stated end all programs that are running including anything in your sys tray that starts automatically with windows , ( usually your av scanner and things ) this will only be temporary as it will return to normal next time you reboot your system

martianjoe

Have just found this site:

http://www.aarp.org/computers-howto/Articl...8-scandisk.html

and to quote from the site:

"You can stop any or all programs that you feel may be interfering except the program called Explorer. This program is the Windows operating system. Keep it running or you will get a major error"

so, apparently it is not safe to delete EXPLORER?????????????

What is the major error if EXPLORER is deleted that this site is referring to, can anyone elaborate?

Super Moderator

EXPLORER would be the window manager. This is what creates the widgets, dialogue boxes, interaction between your programs, start menu... etc
    You can stop EXPLORER from the task manager, it will restart it instantly.
    You can also replace it with a different shell.

martianjoe

Im confused, I have no idea what you mean by a NEW SHELL, its very confusing when web sites (some) tell you that you can delete EXPLORER and SYSTRAY from the Close Box and others tell you not to. I just do not want to delete these 2 items and find my pc has inherited problems by doing so.

Let the computer do its scan job when no other programs are running, if possible. As the scan progresses, a gauge across the bottom displays its progress. If the scan starts over repeatedly, you may have a program running in the background that is interfering with the ScanDisk's progress. If you feel this is the case, press CTRL+ALT+DEL at the same time and you will see a list of programs that are currently running on your computer. A program called FastFind is notorious for causing ScanDisk interference. If you see FastFind on the list, simply highlight it and press End Task. You can stop any or all programs that you feel may be interfering except the program called Explorer. This program is the Windows operating system. Keep it running or you will get a major error.
    If you are going to Quote something at least include enough of the Quote to give the full story.

During the running of scandisk you will get a major error if you close the Explorer.

Nowhere in the article you posted the link to does it mention DELETING

To delete the Explorer.exe file you'd have to go into thw C:/windows file and delete it from there.

All the CTRL + ALT + DEL function does is open the CLOSE PROGRAM box. This is to close NOT delete programs you don't want running during this session of windows. If you close explorer while programs are running then those programs get closed as well. When Explorer re-starts again a few seconds later those programs remain closed. If you closed scandisk this way, then yes, scandisk would display an error.

The important thing to remember about CTRL + ALT + DEL is this feature CLOSES programs, it doesn't DELETE them.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...delete+command+ google search results for that keyboard command, read a few and you will see that PUN is exactly right in everything he has said, programs cannot be lost, deleted , removed or anything by that command only CLOSED .

martianjoe

Thankyou all for your replies, however, as one can see from the article
    that is hi-lighted, it advises NOT to stop (I'm assuming they mean close) the program EXPLORER, so, if I close EXPLORER I get a major errorosclosek
    Let the computer do its scan job when no other programs are running, if possible. As the scan progresses, a gauge across the bottom displays its progress. If the scan starts over repeatedly, you may have a program running in the background that is interfering with the ScanDisk's progress. If you feel this is the case, press CTRL+ALT+DEL at the same time and you will see a list of programs that are currently running on your computer. A program called FastFind is notorious for causing ScanDisk interference. If you see FastFind on the list, simply highlight it and press End Task. You can stop any or all programs that you feel may be interfering except the program called Explorer. This program is the Windows operating system. Keep it running or you will get a major error.