Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

steve_majora

does anyone know how to format the computer, because i need mine formatted bad.

Administrator

Originally posted by steve_majora@Aug 20 2004, 12:06 PM
    YES there are many who can tell you how to do this . but firstly why do you need to format and do you understand how to reinstall your os, formatting your hard drive will remove all data from it and leave it blank with no operating system , do you have the necessary discs to reinstall windows and all your other hard ware ie modem sound card etc etc, if you have never done any of this you need to do a great deal of research before you actually undertake this, i have known many people who thought they would just reinstall windows to a newer version and then had nightmares trying to locate drivers for their hardware, if you have a master recovery disc its a major bonus, but just having a windows install disc doesnt mean it will support all of your hardware, therefore you will need to back up all your files before doing the format again not easy if youve never done such things before
    simply me

are you sure you don't mean defrag?

Beta

I think this is a troll post just like the othe three this ''member'' has posted.

Administrator

Originally posted by Jaime Andrés@Aug 25 2004, 05:34 PM
    I think this is a troll post just like the othe three this ''member'' has posted.
    not necessarily a TROLL post perhaps went ahead with the format and can no longer use the computer
    simply me

West$ide

go look on the internet for instructions.

DJ MaTriX

Originally posted by steve_majora@Aug 20 2004, 12:06 PM
    the_gaffer is right, you really have to listen his advice, but I see that there is still no answer about your question and I will answer it. To format a HDD is the easiest thing that you can do with your computer, the "difficult times" are coming after the format :P

So, you will need a clear DOS. Not Commond Prompt shits etc. If you use an OS older than Windows 2000 you will just have to restart in MS-DOS mode and when you reach the moment you see "c:\" you type format C: and press Enter. It1s gonna take several minutes to complete your command. If you use Windows 2000/XP you will need a start-up diskette or a Boot CD of windows 98 and you should have to boot by one of them. I usually use Floppy Diskette. To boot from the diskette or the CD, put your fdd/cd in the device and restart the PC, it has boot and start DOS. Then you type the command that I told above "format c:" and you wait ... If you a few parts of the HDD and want to format them you just change the letter of the drive; for example if you use C: & D: when you format your first part you format the other simply typing "format d:"

You`ll need serious help if your OS is XP and use NTSF file system on your hard..then youl have to format with "fdisc". But you better give more information about your problem. At least some info about your system. We even don`t know your operation system, we wanna help you man, but you try to help us, too. Good luck anyway

Super Moderator

Originally posted by DJ MaTriX@Sep 6 2004, 02:15 PM
    but I see that there is still no answer about your question and I will answer it.
    This has been answered, in previous threads, the reason it was not added to this thread, yet again, is to reduce redundant posting of the same information over and over.
    And since this OP is not being taken seriously here, there is no point in answering a TROLL post.

There are several threads covering this topic already.
    http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...&f=1&t=1579&hl=
    http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...&f=1&t=2163&hl=
    http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...&f=1&t=2027&hl=