Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rhoadesb

I don't understand.

Would one not lose enormous capability with some older versions of some programs? For instance Internet Explorer 1.0, AOL 1.0.

Could you please educate this old guy as to why folks would want to use such.

rhoadesb

Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan old some older software titles.

rhoadesb

I'll try again, this time hopefully making sense.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of some older software titles.

Administrator

Originally posted by rhoadesb@Aug 20 2004, 05:12 PM
    I don't understand.

Would one not lose enormous capability with some older versions of some programs? For instance Internet Explorer 1.0, AOL 1.0.

Could you please educate this old guy as to why folks would want to use such.
    one would perhaps on a new fast paced machine, but think of all the older machines that people still use and some even treasure, if older versions were left to be forgotten many many people whose machines do not have the resources for the latest software would become unusable, oldversion is preserving a small piece of history, far too many things in these fast paced days we live in fade into history, with software there are so many other issues to think about , people tend to find that they like a program and as they upgrade through the versions they come to a point where the software perhaps has more functions but they do not require them and hence they find the program has become bloated and want to drop back a couple of versions to the one that suited them better or even ran better on their machine, without sites such as OV for many this would not be possible,even internet explorer 1.0 has its uses for somebody, when this was released there were machines that could run this and nothing above it, just as OV archives old software, collectors collect older computers and laptops and many find it interesting as to how software has progressed over the years, i could go on and on but i hope this has given you a small insight on the importance of preserving software
    simply me

Yes. Thanks.

mags

I just wanted to say thanks - for having the Version 8 of RealPlayer - Its the one I have on my PC and I don't want skins or visualisations - just the basic, unbloated program.

Thanks

ShadowFalls

in a sense if you can see it this way, oldversion is like the driverguide of applications
    though I see little use of AOL 1.0 or any version of it for that matter :lol: like mags mentioned, I like Real Player 8 more then their new bloated program. Ofcourse instead of me using Realplayer at all, I use Real Alternative
    Besides I have seen software updated, and then would no longer work with my machine and suddenly they release no more updates for the program anymore, this in itself is invaluable, or maybe they release something like Roxio did, when they made their Easy Media Creator 7 that only works with 2000 or XP. if peeps want to browse the web with IE 1.0 thats their choice, heck I could even get a kick out of that.

Yes Realplayer 8 and 8+ are the BEST one's before it started going downhill..........

EBT

some old versions of certain fileshareing porgrams would be a bad idea (the current set of DC++ are all examples) in addition to beign full of security holes feature an improper tag system that adds work to operators and would usualy just result inthe outright kick and or banning of the user

Originally posted by The Dude@Aug 27 2004, 04:07 AM
    Yes Realplayer 8 and 8+ are the BEST one's before it started going downhill..........
    that is a fact dude i just tried the latest one but v8 kicks it to bits