Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Chris Wood

Um, yeah. You didn't answer any of my questions.

Super Moderator

Did you take the time to read the link your quoting? http://www.oldversion.com/contribute.php?
    or did you just quote it without following the link?
    If you had read that, you would have seen the "contact us" link, you click on that, and it would supply you with http://www.oldversion.com/contact.php - Gives on how to submit.
    and the FAQ page is what they accept.

As for uploading what kind of programs, they have to be Windows shareware & freeware programs, as stated on the FAQ. this means no retail apps. Don't send any DOS or Win/16 files. Games are not hosted and probably will never be. These apps are well handled on Simtels archive, or had once been.
    Just zip up the programs and email as per the contact page states.
    If your sending apps that are not a variance on what's presently hosted, it may take a while before it is in the archive, so dont think that by sending Rambooster98.zip, that you will see it hosted the following day.

Originally posted by locustfurnace@ May 25 2004, 08:33 PM
    Just zip up the programs
    This important point maybe missing from FAQs unless I'm missing something and its a real pain to find out the hard way with mail limits or slow connex that your file extension is unacceptable.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Goslow+May 27 2004, 01:39 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Goslow @ May 27 2004, 01:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--locustfurnace@ May 25 2004, 08:33 PM
    Just zip up the programs
    This important point maybe missing from FAQs unless I&#39;m missing something and its a real pain to find out the hard way with mail limits or slow connex that your file extension is unacceptable. [/b][/quote]
    I do not know if the file extension is an issue, but I would zip it for the benefit of the sender, by zipping the file you might save yourself alittle uploading time.
    Whenever I submit programs, I include a submisison ticket, to make it easier for the owners to see exactly what is being sent. So since I am sending a binary + text file, it makes sense to zip it.

I would also like to know whether split files are worth sending - renamed to some acceptable file extn <.zip> of course.

Super Moderator

What do you mean split files? Large exe&#39;s chopped into segments? Like those from programs such as axman or hjsplit? Or loose files with no installer? If those, just zip em up. Alot of files do not come with standard installer containers.

Yes,files split with a utility be they exe, zips, or whatever extn.
    however minced might be a better word as any file from me will be chunked small

Super Moderator

I cant say how the owners would feel, get yourself a yahoo email account, they just upped the mailbox size to 100megs, and upped the size of file attachments to 10megs.

Getting back to the subject.
    If the file is split without some proprietary software&#39;s extension, the file can be joined without any special programs, just make use of DOS or a batch file and use the COPY command with the /b switch.
    So if you have 10 files, named part001, part002, part003, just combine them via DOS with
    copy /B part001+part002+part003 output-NEWfile

This concat&#39;s the split files into a single file.
    This also works if you want to make mp3 albums.
    Take a bunch of mp3&#39;s. and do the same, this will link each mp3 together, and you&#39;ll end up with a single file, with all the songs chained together. Works best with ogg files, since they are still searchable, while mp3&#39;s just play linear.

I really don&#39;t like using the email method.

Ive sent a few versions of DeadAIM TWICE and they were picked up enither time.

I think that a public upload-only ftp would be a great way to contribute old versions of software.

Super Moderator

Just because you email files, does not mean they land on the site immediately.
    I sent many programs in over a year ago, and they never made it on the main site.
    Out of the dozens I have sent, I believe 1 did land in the list.

Don&#39;t be discouraged into sending in files, I do not know what Ablix or Igor have planned for the future.