Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Request Forum

Beta

I'm sure everyone gets fed up with first time posters not realising they have to read the pinned topic to request an app.
    Would it save time by not having to refer these posters by adding a few extra words to the forum description ? e.g.

it would be far better if you had to go through this pinned topic before you could post a request. i think adding a few words would still not get peoples attention, worth a go but i dont personally think it would make much difference, loads of people seem to look at these things and think yeah ive heard it all before and dont bother reading it ,seems strict but perhaps deleting all requests that are not filled out properly or disabling guests requests for a while may be more efficient

I don't think it would make any difference.

I belong to a "members only" forum that requires new members to make a
    post indicating that they've read the rules within 24 hours of joining (we
    actually give them a week). We've tried your method, as well a scrolling
    banners, redirects, and the like. Nevertheless, over 30% of new member's
    accounts are deleted for non-compliance.

IMHO: The "How to request an app" guidelines make it easier to find the
    app. If we can't help someone who didn't tell us enough, or don't want to go
    to the trouble of searching with insufficient information, it's the requestor's
    loss.

We have no reason to get upset about it. These constant complaints about
    lack of protocol, just make us appear "retentive". If you don't like the
    request, you don't have to answer it.

It might help

i really think it is time to have a seperate section for the p2p stuff perhaps it could be called the fridge i think thats where we keep the spam one its started

Super Moderator

It gets tiring having to keep pointing out the obvious to people. May look retentive, but if you don't point the OP back to how to request, then they never will post correctly.
    Also, adding the necessary info helps out future software seekers, by being able to locate the developers website. They can then seek additional info, missing from the post, and be able to determine if such an app may suit their needs.

The other sites I mod at. Keeps always referring people back to the FAQ's, plus pointing out the rules number. It is not this forum only that does this.

I would like to either, make it so each request must be approved/authorized before posted, or make it members only, or possibly having a waiting board, where those requests not properly filled in, get moved to, until they are corrected and can be added back into the Request board.
    This way if those on hold are already asked for requests, then can quickly be merged in to existing threads.

Overall, there are not many members requesting apps. The majority of requests come from guest posters. Thats something that those people like, not having to sign up for yet another board. Signing up for boards can be a bother to some. They just want to post now. Get their app now. Thats understandable. But it is also understandable that the regulars here are willing to spend their time helping out someone if that someone just takes the first few steps.

also those that try to "step" themselves can help the forum as per this poster who with some help found their .dll file and posted additional info to the forum which was a better result than had I searched (idid) found (idid) posted (ididnt/username) a download link , so wellcome guest -Alan-.

WOMAN

The default search is for 30 days and newer.
    It occurs to me that it would be more useful if the default was either 365 days and newer OR today and older. Seems like it would eliminate alot of posts where people say they search and didnt find what they are looking for, as they have overlooked that "small" detail.
    YMMV

Originally posted by WOMAN@Feb 21 2005, 08:33 PM
    The default search is for 30 days and newer.
    It occurs to me that it would be more useful if the default was either 365 days and newer OR today and older. Seems like it would eliminate alot of posts where people say they search and didnt find what they are looking for, as they have overlooked that "small" detail.
    YMMV
    a valid point but again if people werent so lazy they wouldnt miss this detail,searching and missing this is far better than not searching at all but people need to learn to search properly and just not think that will do, perhaps this highlights why they cannot find things in the first place before they land at oldversion, are they just not thinking what they are doing and just need to learn to use a search engine more efficiently.i suppose it would perhaps be easier to change the default search then change the entire vast amount of visitors to the site but then they would miss the pleasure of learning to use something properly