Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Cookes

hiawattha

When you go to:

Tools
    Internet Options
    General
    Temorary Internet files

is it safe to delete all COOKIES, if so are they stored in the Recycle Bin?

YES its safe to delete all cookies, but no they are not stored in the recycle bin.

hiawattha

Thankyou for your reply, when I clcik on the cookies delete button, will it tell me how many cookies are to be deleted or will it just delete all the cookies and what is the difference when you delete cookies thru:

start
    run
    and you type in "cookies"

and delete, sum1 told me not to delete the "index.dat" cookie.

Super Moderator

index.dat can not be deleted while your using windows. It does keep a running copy of the sites you visit though. If your removing cookies for privacy, then the index.dat file should be removed. If your just trying to save space, then remove the cookies.
    If you want to remove the index.dat, and your running windows9x, you can reboot into DOS, and remove the file that way, or drop a script into the autoexec.bat to remove it on each boot sequence.

[FONT=Courier]Thankyou for your reply, I am just wondering re the following:

In IE 6 when u click on tools, internet options, temporary internet files, then delete COOKIES,

what is the difference when you click in W98

start, run COOKIES, then delete these cookies as there does not seem to be as many COOKIES doing it this way?

Thankyou.

There are 2 places cookies are stored in Windows 95/98 (and most likely the same in other Windows)

The first location is C:\Windows\Cookies

The second is in C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

When you
    In IE 6 when u click on tools, internet options, temporary internet files, then delete COOKIES
    you delete the second set of cookies.

When you
    start, run COOKIES, then delete these cookies as there does not seem to be as many COOKIES doing it this way?
    you delete the first set.

As the Temporary Internet Files record the information in 4 or more folders and records information for each page you visit you would end up with a lot of information stored here including some cookies recorded in 2 or more folders.

hiawattha

thankyou all who contributed with replies, much appreciated and now I have a better understanding of COOKIES.