Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    frustrated

hello everyone,
    this problem has been bugging me for ages and if anyone could offer any suggestions i will be extremely grateful. I have windows xp and it came with windows messenger version 4.6. I used it happily for quite some time, until MSN 5 came out. I downloaded that, but to my dismay I discovered whenever I tried to sign in it gave me the message "your sign in name doesn't exist or your password is incorrect...etc" I followed every suggestion, but I still could not sign in, so I went back to 4.6. Now MSN 6.0 has come out, and I have downloaded that and tried it but it gives me the same error message as version 5. Also, this may not be related, but I can't sign into my hotmail account on internet explorer, but on netscape it works just fine.

I have scoured the internet, following every reasonable suggestion I've read (editing the registry, uninstalling/reinstalling countless times, downloading from different sources, updating to IE 6, using a new hotmail account, turning off the firewall, changing my connection settings)....all to no avail. I'm just about to give up and be content with 4.6, and just wait until I get a new computer and hope that MSN 6 will work on it. What I think is the possible problem is my security settings...but I've fiddled with them too and nothing has worked. So...any possible suggestions would be really great. thanks for your time!

Super Moderator

I do not use MSN at all. So i am not sure what it could be,
    but.. Does the MSN require a .NET acount & password?
    maybe you need to make an account under the .NET service. (?)

Adam H

Hey, I dloaded msn 6.0 and it waz great for about 4 days, then it just wouldn't sign me in, i would be signing in, and it would dissapear. Then i woud re-dload it, and try to sign, and it would dissapear again! :angry: Then i went to get msn 5.0, and i would click it, and try to dload it, and it wouldn't work, or, i would search for msn 5.0, and when i found the appropraite link, i would click where it cleary said, MSN 5.0! but it would go striaght to 6.0! its freakin annoying how this crap works!

Rogel Egglefield

Originally posted by Adam H@Jul 31 2003, 07:16 PM
    Hey, I dloaded msn 6.0 and it waz great for about 4 days, then it just wouldn't sign me in, i would be signing in, and it would dissapear. Then i woud re-dload it, and try to sign, and it would dissapear again! :angry: Then i went to get msn 5.0, and i would click it, and try to dload it, and it wouldn't work, or, i would search for msn 5.0, and when i found the appropraite link, i would click where it cleary said, MSN 5.0! but it would go striaght to 6.0! its freakin annoying how this crap works!
    eggr68@hotmail.com

DoCC

:angry: I had the same problem with my @msn.com account. But i figured it would be up soon and it was. It was only a problem for a day. It seems that they were working on securities and i guess those bastards had a problem posting it up on the .NET service status.

Peace
    DoCC

ADAM H!

[COLOR=red][SIZE=7] I Have deleted all the temp files that might have a corrupt file, i went to control panel, then add or remove programs, i removed everything that had to do with msn, and related folders, and then i tried to dload msn 5.0 again, and it would just show up that i am ttrying to dload 6.0, when that is not what i clicked on at all! msn sucks! either fix it, or kno wat yer doing, and don't put it out for ppl to dload when all it does is messes everything up, making it so ppl can't talk to there freinds or family for long periods of time! i went to www.oldversion.com, but it is under construction, so now, i won't be able to msn back til 12 tonight! iv been trying to get it to work since 12:30 this afternoon! JEEZE! :angry: :angry: :angry: h34r:

frustrated

hello and thank you for your replies!
    yes, i have already have .net account, and i know it works because i can use my hotmail on netscape. and i wish it was only a problem that would last one day, but i've had this problem for many, many months so that is why i think has more to do with some incorrect settings or something

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Adam H@Jul 31 2003, 07:16 PM
    or, i would search for msn 5.0, and when i found the appropraite link, i would click where it cleary said, MSN 5.0! but it would go striaght to 6.0! its freakin annoying how this crap works!
    Thats because those sites do not host the file, they just link to a template - where msn can drop in their newest version, and every single link on the net that points there will automatically be "updated", to retrieve the newest version.
    Even if the links name states msn5, it is just because no one update their link names to reflect the newest version.

Brother Grifter

Why don't you go to the microsoft website and find out ! :P

Super Moderator

Originally posted by frustrated@Jul 31 2003, 10:32 PM
    hello and thank you for your replies!
    yes, i have already have .net account, and i know it works because i can use my hotmail on netscape. and i wish it was only a problem that would last one day, but i've had this problem for many, many months so that is why i think has more to do with some incorrect settings or something
    OK, i can't help much on that, i do not use MSN, never have never will.
    Maybe you might want to consider a program like Trillian, OMNIWEB, which combine several different chat programs - yahoo,icq,msn, into 1 small little program.
    you might have success that way.