Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

With ICQ, you will have problems using an older client do to a change in protocol. they had used v5 in 98 i believe, then switched to v7 and possibly v8, plus with the adition to using OSCAR. you will problems using an old client with the newer protocols. So i would imagine the same can be true with MSN, or any other chat clients with run through a server.

memories

hey um... my sister recently upgraded our msn to the new and unimproved useless msn 6 in that it would not work it would come up with a problem saying too check your password and all that business... anyway i removed it and decided to go back to the roots and download msn 4.6 as 5 doesnt work on my primitive computer. since going back to the original msn i will sign in and once someone talks to me msn will all of a sudden freeze and stop responding... dont get me wrong i do have a life out side of msn, its just a means of communication with family and friends. anyway i would love to know what i should do... should i remove everything concerning msn from my computer? fix a corrupt file or change settings please its becoming very frauating i have tried downloading the program a number of times but still the problem presists

thanks

Darcy

I am currently running MSN Messenger version 4.6 and had no problems, if I upgrade to version 5 for Windows 98 from Oldversion.com site, do I have to delete the current 4.6 version from my computer before I download version 5?

Super Moderator

you dont have to delete the old version before you download.
    you might want to make a system backup before installing the newer version, incase you experience problems.
    use the Windows 98 utility, MS BACKUP.
    if it is not instaled. it will be on the Win98 CD, use the add/remove program to install it.
    this will be very helpful incase the new MSN doesnt work for you.
    or use an ALl-in-one program like Trillain or Instant -T
    http://www.interactiveni.com/IMSite/imfreeware.htm

Mardus

IDEAS.

locustfurnace: If you admin the site, then some information beside file download links should nevertheless be very helpful.

I

Because if system requirements are hard to include or get, then writing in which year or date this or that version of which program was released (can be accessed from About messages, too) would help, too.

For example, Netscape 4.08 was released in 1998, so it's logical that it will be slower in computers that were manufactured before 1998 (1997 and earlier).

This would help potential downloaders to download the program that would bet fit the computer and not spend too much time searching for system preferences. While I am aware that in cases of some programs, system preferences are available at sites that offer good user support (like Netscape, Real and Macromedia) and they can be seen at other sites where a program could be downloaded... Basically, one has to search Google for all that if some information is not reasonably readily available.

II

Another idea is that if there's a certain messenger program that is not supported and cannot connect to a server (like Yahoo!Messenger versions 3, 3.5 and 4.1, which I personally tried, and soon-to-be older msn messenger versions) — which really means that it's as good as defunct, then putting a short notice like "cannot connect anymore" or "cannot connect, consider alternatives here" or something similar. This would be very helpful for potential downloaders, who would then download the still-working versions.

III

The same could apply for programs, the components of which need updating (like Ad-Aware), in which case a notice that definition file updates no longer work or are available for that particular version.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Mardus+Sep 10 2003, 05:48 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mardus @ Sep 10 2003, 05:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>IDEAS.
    locustfurnace: If you admin the site, then some information beside file download links should nevertheless be very helpful. [/b]

Mardus, I do not Admin this site.

Originally posted by -Mardus@Sep 10 2003, 05:48 PM
    IDEAS.
    Because if system requirements are hard to include or get, then writing in which year or date this or that version of which program was released (can be accessed from About messages, too) would help, too.
    This would require installation of all 393 programs on OV on a users system to locate all the version numbers. and I do believe version numbers are already included on the File download site.

I will still fall back on my previous messages pertaining to all the sys req info added to the site per file, that users are not coming to OldVersion to download the hottest new app. The people who come to OV are looking for a version they had previously once used on their system, and want to go back to it. They are familiar with these certain versions which they can not obtain on the creators site any longer.

This is not Tucows or Cnet, where you head off to find new apps and including sys req is necessary on their site. But as i said, people come here looking for that app they know works on their system. So their past encounter with said app is what they know, and they are not caring to much for the sys req.

All the posts I have answered which had requests for apps, where from people wanting a certain version, they used to have on their system, and they updated that version to the newest one, finding out it is not what they like, or find problems with the program they are unable to work around, so they know a certain version had worked for them, and thats all they want once again, they never ask if this older version will work on their system, because they know it will work, from experience.

It would be a nice thing to add all the system requirements for all 393 apps on OV, but I am not going to do it.

<!--QuoteBegin--Mardus
    @Sep 10 2003, 05:48 PM
    For example, Netscape 4.08 was released in 1998, so it&#39;s logical that it will be slower in computers that were manufactured before 1998 (1997 and earlier). [/quote]

any program will run slower in computers that were manufactured before 1998, compared with todays gigahertz processors.

Internet Explorer 4.5 runs slower then Internet Explorer 4.0 in a 486DX2 66. Due to the bloat factor of software. On my PowerPC 7500 I run IE 3.0 & IE 4.5, and the 3.0 loads quicker and faster, but can not render HTML 4.0 or 3.2 documents. forget javascripting&#33; But i can use IE 4.5 and have a 80% chance of proper rendering.

If you run that older program on todays faster computers, older software has a better chance of running quicker than newer apps. Since less code to process.

You have valid points. such as older chat clients not connecting to login servers, due to protocol changes, but i dont think it is the responsibilty of OV to make sure all apps function or even work.
    Even some apps that work for John Doe, might not work for Jane Doe, due to conflicts in other operating system libraries, or installed apps. Some CD recording software can not co exist with other CD Recording software, Does OV have to determine which works with which CD Burner. because not all CD Burning software supports all CD Burners.
    Then as i said, do we next need to say, this web browser does not support XML or DHTML 4.0, or this Real Media Jukebox does not play RealMedia 7 files, and this Windows Media Player 6 can not play Windows Media 9 files. or Winamp 3.4 doesnt support MP3PRO or AAC or MP4-AAC.......

Once you start on the path of making sure everything is documented and referrenced, you will have someone else who says, you should do this and that. the database of file information to attach to old files can grow out of control, seriously.

Although you and others have good intentions, I dont see it as being vitally necessary for the 1 time visitor who just wants an old version of BrandX app.

vanessa

does anybody know if you can run MSN Messenger 4.7 or 4.6 in Windows 95?

Karlis

Hey, as most of you know MSN has forced users who were useing older versions of their program to upgrade to 5.0 or 6.0 I have been useing 4.6 and it works just fine for me. Now it wont work and they are forceing me to use another version, thats not to big of a problem except it wont let me open it. When I download the file it finishes and starts extracting it but when it finishes it gives me this error, Command line syntex error and tells me to go to the MSN website to download. I do that and it still doesnt work can anyone please help me?

Super Moderator

do you have the old version running? Is the old version in the systray. do you see the little icon under the clock?
    if so, then you might need to shut it down, before you install the new version.
    Since it can not upgrade a version in use.
    So make sure any older version are not running anywhere

Karlis

Thanks for the help but its still not working I closed the icon and even uninstalled it but it still says the option syntex error thing. Im pretty sure the version isnt running anywhere but the MSN Messenger Icon is still under my program files, when I click on it all it does is serch for the file but comes up with nothing.